Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Track and Trace App??

EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Anyone got the track and trace app? 
I’ve been wondering what you think:anguished: will you use it? 

My colleague showed me her phone and the app said it wouldn’t work without the latest iOS, which she can’t download because she uses an old iPhone. Why make an app that only works on the latest phones? If the government wants as many people as possible to use it then why doesn’t it work on old phones -_- 

At least the design is simple and you can turn contact tracing off for when your at home, the threat level is rather ominous though. It says medium but other gov websites say low which is not very reassuring. 

Here’s a picture for those of you who are curious- you have to enter the first half of your postcode for threat level (I hid that bit otherwise you’d all know where I live lol) 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't trust it at all. 
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    @Aiden I’d rather Bluetooth than WiFi or 3G, at least my data won’t be used up :/ 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    @GreenTea  
    just wondering, is there a reason you don’t trust it? 

I don’t trust it too, it’s on my phone but the app is turned off and doesn’t have permission to use Bluetooth right now. If I find myself feeling unsafe or at risk I might turn it on 
    Because it's unsafe to have Bluetooth on all the time and I just don't trust the government enough to allow an app on my phone that could be used to collect information
    @GreenTea Yeah that’s a good point, it’d be illegal for them to connect the data with your personal information but since when do the government actually follow laws :( 
    the way it says it works seems safe but who knows if any of its true :( 
    @Aiden I read it needed more users than WhatsApp to be effective, I don’t remember where I saw that though so don’t take my word for it. 
    Plus if it only works on new phones they’ll never get that many users 
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I think it’s a good thing in a way but I personally arent  getting it. I work in a hospital so the chances of me coming into contact with someone is pretty high, I don’t really want to worry myself unnecessarily 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    edited September 2020
    @Dandelion I’m glad you are avoiding unnecessary worries, do you get tested at work because of the job you do? 
    Not unless we have symptoms @Eyepatch. I’m currently off work waiting for my results as I have symptoms. I’m really hoping I get the results back soon though 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    Take that back just got my results they’re negative, thank god!
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I've got the Scottish one (protect Scotland) but haven't set it up yet as I haven't updated to iOS 14 yet. 

So long as it doesnt drain my battery or whatever then I'll use it. It does seem strange that it only works on the latest iOS though not everyone has the latest phone to use it on.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    @Dandelion Glad you’re negative! :) 
    @independent_ The App Store says it works on 13.5 and above which seems counterproductive :/ maybe the government are as out of touch with technology as they are about the price of milk 😂 

I hadn’t thought about the battery being drained, that’s definitely something to consider, no point using it if it only works for half the day 😅 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    edited September 2020
    I was gonna download it but I have to update my phone... idk if I want the new ios update :lol:
  • LottiLotti Posts: 1 Just got here
    Well i wouldn't have minded downloading it however I need to update my phone and i've heard rumours about the latest update ruining iphones. 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Lotti said:
    Well i wouldn't have minded downloading it however I need to update my phone and i've heard rumours about the latest update ruining iphones. 
    Hello @Lotti welcome to the boards <3 

The new update certainly has its bugs and issues, but it doesn’t ‘ruin’ iPhones :) I don’t have it yet either but I tried it on my mum’s phone yesterday and it looked alright 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Tbh everytime there is a new update I hear rumours like that, it’s a very common worry but it’s rarely true. Whenever something does go wrong the story’s are blown out of proportion, but it’s okay to wait and update after the bugs have been patched if it helps you feel less worried  
    Eyepatch said:
    @GreenTea Yeah that’s a good point, it’d be illegal for them to connect the data with your personal information but since when do the government actually follow laws :( 
    the way it says it works seems safe but who knows if any of its true :( 

Might be illegal but when has that ever stopped people using apps to get information based on people... Tiktok does it etc.
    Just stupid. And the original app had a massive security breach when made which is why it's taken so long to put out there. Just don't trust it. 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Terrified me yesterday got text from nhstrace just for it to say hey download this app!

No you nearly give me heart attack! 😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Laine said:
    Terrified me yesterday got text from nhstrace just for it to say hey download this app!

No you nearly give me heart attack! 😂
    That’s because anyone who is over 16 and registered with a GP who have given them phone/email gets one , it was on the bottom of the email i had
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for sharing you options everyone 
    Post edited by Eyepatch on
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2020
    The Among Us reference made me laugh. :bleep_bloop: 

Personally, I've been using it (Android) and haven't had any issues. I am a bit of a digital privacy freak with similar concerns about location transmission and data and whatnot, but in the end I think I told myself it was a matter of priority. I want to be notified if I've been exposed and I want to make sure other people do if I end up with COVID. I can temporarily lower my barrier for that.

To be honest, I also do think it's nice to be able to just scan a checking-in barcode and not have to fill in one of those individual forms every time. That was starting to drive me a bit mad. :tongue: 

I do agree with the point @Aidan mentioned about the amount of people using it. I'm hoping that'll grow with time but, even if it doesn't, think I'll keep it running anyway.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Thanks @Mike  I was struggling to put it into words and what you said about priority makes sense to me, if the government gets my data but the app happens to save a few lives then that’s alright. 

Besides, I’m paranoid enough to believe that the government probably has everyone’s data already. If they don’t then I’m defiantly not important enough for any government to waste time spying on haha 

• AlexAlex Posts: 41 Boards Initiate
    I think the app is a neat new addition to the test and trace system. I recognise, like some posts here, that the app doesn't work with older devices and that is a nuisance, but to me, that shows it's got the latest tracking features including Bluetooth built in. I've had no problems using the app, like how it reminds me to turn it back on and as others said, scanning rather than having to give details manually to retailer is a huge advantage! Sometimes doesn't work though, the QR codes when my device has no signal which is frustrating.
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I have the app - i am not convinced it works well now though because i didnt leave my flat for a week and the whole time it kept popping up with possible exposure notifications and i was like..... havent been anywhere???? live alone???? weird. Then google said apparently those are automatic notifications and to ignore them but idk really its all a little confusing. 

I really dont care in terms of privacy - I have zero doubt in my mind that if the government wanted my data they would have it they dont need this app to do that. Facebook, instagram, google etc everything you go online with uses ur data in various ways. Have you ever been talking to someone about something and suddenly an advert for it shows up on facebook? its not a coincidence! 

Either way I do nothing of interest generally so i doubt anyone would wanna waste their time tracking me for no reason and i can apply my own common sense and critical thinking to the matter so in my mind its just useful bits of info to have
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    Some places ive seen are like only once person in ur family needs to do the scanning, so bring it along. Yeah some older OS do not support the app. They do try to privatise the data and not use it. But ofc it is a worry. Then again a lot of apps these days collect data e.g. google maps. Ive only really seen the app scan thing at big events and in some of the places to eat and really I haven't been out much.