Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Daily Crying Spells - Anyone else?

fionnadelinefionnadeline Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
Hi! I've been having multiple cries a day, just sudden short outbursts of tears, for no apparent reason. Often they're accompanied by really low moods or just a feeling of... having really, really low energy. I guess it always helps to know you're not alone and to support each other! I've been journaling and writing the Samaritans, those two activities have been really helpful. To anyone who's experiencing low moods for what seems like no reason, I hope you're still pushing through, you'll get through today. <3 

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @fionnadeline :heart:

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this! It's positive that you have reached out to the Samaritans and are journalling - sounds like some great ways to help yourself. How are you finding them so far?

Hopefully the journalling will be a helpful tool to better understand what may be causing this, as you may be able to reflect on how you have been feeling and put the pieces together :smile: If you would like to talk through anything with us here we are more than happy to listen and support you too! :heart:
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    edited October 2020
    This is probably more common than you think @fionnadeline. I've known a lot of people who have been through periods where they've cried daily or more, and I've experienced it too.

For some folks, it can be something as simple as stress or fatigue, or a short-term emotional uphevil, and other times it can be longer-term and related to deeper things like trauma.

I second what @coc0mac said - journalling and chatting to Samaritans are great ways to support yourself and it's awesome you've found them helpful. :) Have you been able to reflect on where these crying spells might be coming from? In any case, it's good to let that emotion out.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • fionnadelinefionnadeline Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    edited October 2020
    Hi coc0mac and Mike, thanks so so much. Yup I usually feel better after a cry, but it's just dreadful in the moment or right before. But yes journaling has been super helpful in terms of putting pieces together and 'getting to the bottom of this'. At times, I've found a few reasons for my negative emotions and have tried to process them and let them go (which felt really, really nice), but I guess I still have a few to uncover cause the tears and low moods keep coming! But at this rate I'm hoping that after some time I'll be able to hopefully identify & tackle each of them and let them all go. <3
    Anyway I'm still feeling hopeful cause I'm starting to recognise that overall I do still have the will to 'help myself' (find activities to do, reach out, meditate, exercise, try to force myself to do what I can to get me out of this rut essentially) -- which I imagine must be a good thing. :) Sometimes I do feel like giving up / "why bother", but those feelings always pass & the will to keep going on this healing journey is still stronger, I'd say.
    I hope you're both doing well and having the loveliest day.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    It's super healthy to have a good cry, crying is a way that shows you expressing your emotions and it also helps regulate emotions I believe. 

It's positive you're journaling/keeping a journal - this can be good for you to look back on and identify any patterns which you may not have spotted! I find journaling so so hard so good for you!! Also talking to the samaritans is good as it gives you chance to write and express yourself and you can let everything out. 

Also glad you're talking to us on here as we're I guess a less informal way of getting support! 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • fionnadelinefionnadeline Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi Anch0r33! Yes that's true about crying. It is healthy and I guess it comes and goes like waves or clouds passing by. Gotta remember that and try to watch it pass  :3
    And thanks!! I just journal when I feel like I need to, so it's not like a daily habit that I keep or anything  =) Yeah this forum is definitely great to feel supported -- plus I guess when we offer support to others, it lifts us up as well, so that's another bonus <3 
    Also I've found that I'm starting to cope better in terms of soothing myself when these crying spells do pop up out of nowhere :open_mouth: (fingers crossed this keeps progressing well).

For anyone who needs to hear this: I took this super short course called 'Managing Your Mental Health during Covid 19' on Coursera, and it was actually really nice and helpful! Definitely recommend it to anyone who feels like they want to better understand the unexplainable amount of stress they're going through right now.
    Sending love and light! 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    You have such a wonderful attitude towards this @fionnadeline! You are doing so many great things to help yourself and that really is something to feel proud of. I hope that things start to feel better for you very soon. Sounds like things are going in the right direction as you say you are starting to cope better in terms of soothing yourself during crying spells - really pleased to hear that :heart:

That course sounds great, thank you so much for sharing. I'm sure that can help a lot of people and I am glad it helped you :smile:
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I been through a lot of periods recently where id cry daily often brought on by my parents (who have been taking out their own stress on me) or a situation with someone or past event etc. 

I mean crying itself is a healthy activity of emotional release tho yea sometimes can suggest underlying issues and that u are not necessarily aware of. I guess things like journalling can help tho I haven't done much of it myself as im confused how to do it effectively tbh. Im jus writing random stuff down really.
    What is useful for me at least is to keep a mental track of mood throughout the day and what affects it.