Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interview nerves?

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
I've got an interview on Monday with my university air squadron and the nerves have really been getting to me! I think it's a mix of really wanting to get in and being socially awkward. 

There's about 70 people who they can interview and only 20 spaces so I'm really not sure how it'll go. I think the unknown aspect of it all is very daunting. 

I've got an outline of the interview and have been working on my answers. It's also over zoom which has its pros and cons. 

Does anyone have any good techniques to deal with nerves like this? I'm not very interview experienced, I'm more a sports try outs type of person! 
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) it sounds like you're doing prep, which is the most important technique - practice your lines and what you want to say! The more you go over them, the less nervous you'll feel, and momentum is a great thing for interviews. If you slip during the interview, just carry on as if nothing happened, and they won't pay much attention either. 

It can defo be a nervous experience, so basic relaxation tips - have water on hand, take deep breaths to calm yourself down. But remember, they're not there to destroy you - they want to get to know you better. It's more of a professional conversation, rather than a test, if that helps.

Finally, give it your all! If they want to interview you, it's because they think you're a good candidate for the role. Have confidence in yourself and do your best. Best of luck!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Thanks @Azziman it's much appreciated! 

That's a great perspective to look at it, it's just them getting to know me! 

Water is a great idea, I'd have definitely forgotten that...

Very excited about it at the same time :) 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Totally second what @Azziman said - the interviewers are rooting for you, not against you. They're probably a bit nervous as well. Interviews are also a chance for you to decide if you want to work with those people or in that workplace, so they're trying to make a good impression too.

The whole idea of interviews being this gauntlet people have to run to get a job isn't actually very accurate to real/modern life, unless you're in The Apprentice. It's more of a chance for two parties to meet each other and decide if they want to build a working relationship.

I would say pauses are your friend. Take the time you need to think - it shows you're a considered person and might help you stay level-headed. I also talk to myself basically 24/7 and find it helps when you're mentally preparing for an interview or presentation, but that one might just be me!

I realise you had your interview earlier this week - how did it go?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    @Mike thank you for this! It's great advice that I'll remember next interview. 

I think it went well, I was very nervous and did end up forgetting the names of some RAF bases, but I'm hoping my other knowledge, enthusiasm and the rest of it went well enough. I should hear back early next week whether it's positive or negative. 

I'll be gutted if I don't get accepted but at the same time there's 20 spaces for 70+ interviewees and I can request feedback and apply next year. 

It'll alter my career choice quite drastically but again we'll see what happens!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `