Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Periods

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
Ive always had pretty bad period cramps but I’ve always just taken the day off school or whatever and it’s been fine. Now when I get bad cramps I have to take the day off I obviously don’t like doing it because I’m missing days of work. This makes me really anxious, like today I knew I was going to be on my period so I was really worried about it thinking that’s I’d get bad cramps etc, which was worse in a way because then I felt really sick and anxious as well. I wasn’t going to go into work but my mum said I have to because it’s only my second week. An hour into my shift I felt really sick and ill so I asked my manager if I could go home. Now that I’m home I actually feel better, but now I feel shit for coming home, when I know if I had stayed I still would’ve felt shit. 

This probably doesn’t make any sense but whatever. I know I should go see my GP about it but now I’m working full time during the week, I don’t have any time to go. 
The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hey,

I used to have this problem as well, I used to have really really heavy and painful periods which created a lot of anxiety about the first day of it which was always the worst. Do not feel guilty for going home, I had to do the same a few times. 

Have you tried things like ibuprofen? You can even get little heat patches which you can stick on your stomach which can be helpful sometimes and you can wear them discreetly at work.

Ultimately though, the thing that helped me was seeing my GP and going on the pill. I still have some days where it’s quite bad, but not every month and it’s not as bad as it was. At the moment most GP’s are doing phone appointments, would that be any easier for you with work?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Thanks for replying. I phoned my gp and they prescribed me something that means I can take ibuprofen now as well as paracetamol. I couldn’t take it before as it interacts with another medication I’m on. I’m hoping that will help a bit. I used to have patches as well but I ran out so might need to get some more lol. 

I was considering speaking to my gp about going on the pill, I’m just scared that it will make my mood bad. X
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    That’s good that you’re now able to take ibuprofen too it tends to be more helpful for period pain in my experience.

I wouldn’t say the pill has had much of an effect on my mental health at all, I’ve been on it for 2.5 years now and if anything it’s reduced the anxiety about periods so that’s one less thing to be anxious about I guess. There are so many different kinds out there and other methods of contraception as well that can help with periods, so definitely worth speaking to your GP about. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Dandelion I'm not sure what sanitary products you use but I have found that when I use a pad, I get really bad cramps but since I switched to tampons I literally feel no pain whatsoever. I know this is the same for some other people too, it may be worth a try? 
    Alis propriis volat 
    Thanks @independent_ I might have a chat to my gp about it

Thanks @Eleanor I’ve never heard that before, I usually use pads, but I might try using tampons see if that helps 
    People definitely have different experiences with tampons and pain. I find that they make mine worse. But a lot of people say they make it better. But with period pains pretty much anything is worth a try to see if it helps, they’re the worst. 

I hope you find something that helps you 
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Aren't periods just the worst?! :'(

I had really bad periods and I have been on the pill for years now which has eased the pain a little bit but I find Feminax works best for me - although I do think talking to a GP is the best thing to do because that's just something personal that works for me but might not work for you.

The NHS https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/period-pain/ has some other self-care tips that might be useful: 
    • stopping smoking – smoking is thought to increase the risk of period pain
    • exercise – you may not feel like exercising during a painful period, but being active may reduce pain; try some gentle swimmingwalking or cycling
    • heat – putting a heat pad or hot water bottle (wrapped in a tea towel) on your tummy may help reduce pain
    • warm bath or shower – taking a warm bath or shower can relieve pain and help you relax
    • massage – light, circular massage around your lower abdomen may also help reduce pain
    • relaxation techniques – relaxing activities, such as yoga or pilates, may help distract you from feelings of pain and discomfort
    • transcutaneous electronic nerve stimulation (TENS) – a small battery-operated device that delivers a mild electrical current to your tummy to help reduce pain
    I also think diet is a big one for me while I'm on my period - for some reason dairy gives me really bad cramps but only when I'm on my period so I try and have as little milk as possible - i choose green tea over normal etc. 

Maybe have a look at this list of foods to eat and avoid during periods and experiment to see if these work for you: https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/what-to-eat-during-period
    Thanks @Han93, that’s really useful.