Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

24 hour time Part two

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
I find it hard telling the 24 hour time and it’s pissing me off. And I know probably thinking well learn it and and I have tried. It just doesn’t stick in my head and the boards  have Been 24 hour for awhile and thought would help me learn it but hasnt. Everyone can tel 12 hour time so I don’t suppose anyone wants to change their vote from the other thread lol https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/comment/3655663#Comment_3655663
 After readin this. No worries if not. No pressure. Just fed up of feeling annoyed at myself for feeling stupid when I don’t understand it

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

24 hour time Part two 9 votes

12 hour
33%
SienaDancerPast User 3 votes
24 hour
66%
Skiveindependent_Past UserGreenTeaStarlightPast User 6 votes
It doesn’t make any difference to me
0%

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    24 hour
    I’m the total opposite in that I’m much more comfortable with 24 hour time - it’s what my phone is and has always been set to, so it eventually just stuck in my head. If you subtract 12 from the first number you get the 12 hour equivalent :) 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    I’m the total opposite in that I’m much more comfortable with 24 hour time - it’s what my phone is and has always been set to, so it eventually just stuck in my head. If you subtract 12 from the first number you get the 12 hour equivalent :) 
    Oh. But you understand the 12 hour time tho?
    i don’t understand the 24 hour time and I don’t like to do maths to just find out the time lol
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    24 hour
    Yeah I understand 12 hour time. It would be great if this could be changed by each individual person, but from what I remember, it would have to be universal across the boards. 

I think if it changed I’d actually be a bit confused? IDK. That’s just what I think though I’m a bit weird when it comes to numbers lol 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    12 hour
    To be honest, I’m a wee bit slow and sometimes have to work out the 24 hour time :lol: It takes a little longer but I can work it out.

12 hour would personally be easier but It’s not a big deal for me so I’m pretty easy either way.

it would be ideal if we had an option in our settings to set it to either 24 or 12 hour but know that may not be possible. 

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    24 hour
    This was voted on under a different section of the boards and the majority was to keep the 24 hour time as more people preferred it. 
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    I am aware why said the part two. Just don’t think it’s fair when everyone understands 12 hour time but not everyone knows 24
    Post edited by Siena on
    12 hour
    I don’t think anyone cares about my struggle to read 24 hour time. So yep never mind then
    24 hour
    It’s not that we don’t care Shaunie, I understand where you’re coming from totally. But it was a vote after all, and because it’s universal it’s kinda a majority thing.
    12 hour
    Yeah but most people probably just put 24 hour time cause used to but wouldn’t care less when I care and this site does go for younger people too who are used to 12 hour
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    24 hour
    I only would say 24 hour time as 12 hour time confuses me so much, am and pm take me ages to figure out which is which (and can be quite distressing if I get them mixed up, for example 12 am and 12 pm are very confusing to me) whereas with 24 hour time I look and it's simple. I know that's not the case for everyone but 12 hour time does take longer and much more thought and concentration for me personally. 
    “I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
    I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
    12 hour
    Ok
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    Starlight said:
    I only would say 24 hour time as 12 hour time confuses me so much, am and pm take me ages to figure out which is which (and can be quite distressing if I get them mixed up, for example 12 am and 12 pm are very confusing to me) whereas with 24 hour time I look and it's simple. I know that's not the case for everyone but 12 hour time does take longer and much more thought and concentration for me personally. 
    Surely everyone knows 12 how clock unless you have never used a clock before. that's how you get taught time. I used to get confused on if 12:00 was an or pm. In day or night. But yeah that's only one minute of the day
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks for your patience on this one @Shaunie (and anyone else waiting for staff to chip in). We're actually exploring whether it's technically possible to have an individual setting for this, and we'll let you all know if anything comes of that. It feels like that's the ideal option here. :)

We are also considering whether we want to go with the more accessible option regardless of what the majority vote is. 12 hour time won't be more accessible for everyone as @Starlight pointed out, but it might be more universally accessible than 24 hour, meaning it could make sense to make that switch just in the interests of making the community easy to use for the majority.

Once we know whether or not we can have this as an individual setting, we'll go from there. If we can't make that happen then it's very possible we move to 12 hour time.

Rest assured we do care @Shaunie, and we are exploring what we can do. As @independent_ said, these sorts of things tend to be majority votes but in this case, we are putting a lot of weight on the accessibility of both options so it might not be as simple as a vote. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    edited September 2020
    24 hour
    Just reading my comment back and sorry for sounding rude @Shaunie I sounded like I was just being difficult, I didn’t mean for it to come across that way at all. 
    Post edited by Starlight on
    “I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
    I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2020
    Nice thinking @Aidan! Definitely an option for sure.

@Starlight not at all - your input was super valuable and you weren't rude. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    12 hour
    You wasn’t rude @Starlight
    24 hour
    We did a poll on the other thread though? With the same options?  @Aidan
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    Aidan said:
    I can't remember if that poll was what you preferred, or what you could read @GreenTea
    Yeah we should do what you can read as not really fair. I feel so stupid everything I’m struggling to work out

So frustrating everytime i don’t know just simple time 

everyone can read 12 hour time so just kinda annoying tbh but understand mike is trying
    24 hour
    I don't read 12 hour clocks lol. I can't read them properly because it's not what I grew up with. I grew up with miliary time which is 24hrs
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    GreenTea said:
    I don't read 12 hour clocks lol. I can't read them properly because it's not what I grew up with. I grew up with miliary time which is 24hrs
    Oh sorry. 

But you can read them tho? Just don’t usually ?

Do you not ever read a clock then, watches or any clock?
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    Sorry hope not seeming rude. But just trying to understand why it would bother people so much if it was 12 hour -every one can read it then. 

24 hour
    Shaunie said:
    GreenTea said:
    Oh sorry. 

But you can read them tho? Just don’t usually ?

Do you not ever read a clock then, watches or any clock?

No. It confuses me. 
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    Oh that’s interesting never heard of that. So if someone said it’s 8. When it was late in the day nearly bed time. You be like what’s 8 or would think omg it’s 8 am stil

Actually got a point  @The Mix
    You use 12 hour time when you say when group chat is on. So why not lol. 
    24 hour
    Like I've said. I've grown up with 24 hour clocks. 8 is the morning. 2000 is evening.. 6 is morning.. 1800 is evening that's how I read time.  digits up till 12 is morning. Digits after 12 are afternoon
    24 hour
    I'm sorry my Brain works differently..it's not my fault. 
    12 hour
    Yeah I’m just interested. So Do you calculate it to 24 hour time if someone says that?

• Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    I'm not fussy like and i really don't mind either way.... but personally, i do find 12 hour time much easier. Sometimes i have to work out 24 hour time and it makes me feel a bit daft but then again, i can't tell the time on a clock either. :lol: Would be greattt if we had options to change it as there's obvs different opinions.

But just so that you know @Shaunie you're not alone in not fully understanding 24 hour time :smiley:
    edited September 2020
    24 hour
    No because I don't need to if I've been up from 0600 hours then if someone says it's 6..it's not because Ive not been to bed.
    There's 24 hours in a day. Not 12 hours in a day
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    Liam said:
    I'm not fussy like and i really don't mine either way.... but personally, i do find 12 hour time much easier. Sometimes i have to work out 24 hour time and it makes me feel a bit daft but then again, i can't tell the time on a clock either. :lol: Would be greattt if we had options to change it as there's obvs different opinions.

But just so that you know @Shaunie you're not alone in not fully understanding 24 hour time :smiley:
    Ah finally!  

This is what I feel like everytime someone says how they’re feeling or posted . And I’m like ohh 33000000 time what does mean. (Obvious over eggration) then I’m sat there working out if they’re said that one hour ago or what and if they’d still need support on it if they just wrote it then they may see my reply straight away. If makes sense. Every single time and I’m thinking omg I’m so stupid why won’t it stick in my brai
    edited September 2020
    12 hour
    When asked in PM The Mix said 

Thanks for getting back to us. You are right, everyone does know how to read 12 hour time, I hadn't actually thought of that. It makes sense that you are feeling confused about peoples response. I wonder if they haven't thought about that yet either? ”

So that’s why I’ve still got it in my mind everyone can read it so now I am super confused