Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Everyday Kinda Thoughts

OcelotFaceOcelotFace Posts: 23 Boards Initiate
Hi Guys, 

I'm new here but I'm currently going through a good patch in my life (who knows how long this will last as things usually take a turn for the worst, very quickly). Anyway, I wanted to make this discussion board a place for anyone to make an input on absolutely anything that might be bothering them about their daily life or anything that might be going good for them. 
I'll start: I recently got a new job so now I finally have something to keep me distracted during the day instead of overthinking the small things in my life. I finally feel needed at this job (since i do admin and manage other people's days) and i finally have something to think about all day, everyday. 
However, my low moods hit me uncontrollably and I'm so easy to fall into a pit of anxiety- I get triggered so easily. 

Hopefully some of you guys will be able to comment your concerns or your happy thoughts on here :) 

Big Hugs 

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    It is really hard when those lows hit, I understand that totally. What helps you when you’re feeling low/anxious?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • OcelotFaceOcelotFace Posts: 23 Boards Initiate
    Personally I listen to music as it blocks out absolutely everything around me. At work etc when music isn't an option I do just try and go outside and call someone. TALKING HELPS- IT'S SO UNDERRATED 
    Music I also find to be a massive help, it’s a distraction if nothing else. I’m at a real low point in my life at the moment and I basically listen to music all the time, I hate silence because I feel it gives me too much space to think. 

Have you spoken to anyone like a GP or had any sort of counselling?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    I can relate so much to that. I recently got out of that low point and now i'm able to face the silence more so than i used to. 
    I have had counselors during my last two years of GCSE and all throughout sixth form, including going back and forth with therapists. Now that i've finished school my anxiety has gotten a lot better but i still have my battles. 

How about you? are you seeing someone? 
    I’m glad you’ve been able to get support. How did you find counselling, did you find it useful?

I’m currently in the process of trying to get support. I saw my GP a few weeks ago who referred me to the adult mental health team. I was assessed by them and basically told where to go, and that my problems were all down to Covid which they aren’t. So I’m thinking of calling my GP again to discuss other options. Was your counselling through your school?
    What was good for me was that they were available at most times of the week, so most of the time i was storming out of class, teary eyed and was able to see them, which helped. Long term I think it just made me dependent on other people rather than being able to develop myself. 

How old are you? I don't trust these waiting lists and free services anymore. I have resorted to self help and online methods. I know someone who works in mental health for the NHS and everything is a little bit all over the place at the moment. 
    Stay Strong 
    It definitely sounds like it was useful to have someone to see during the day when you were at school. I think sometimes having that person you can confide in whenever and who is there for you is a good thing, doesn’t necessarily make you dependent.

I’m 17, but I’ll be 18 in December so I was referred to the adult team, which I think is what they do in my area because the CAMHS waiting lists are even worse. I’ve been using like self-help methods and online stuff for years, but it’s at a point now where it doesn’t help much sadly. So tried to seek out other support. I tried meds too but didn’t get on with the first kind I tried, so that’s another thing I’ll have to discuss with my GP. Who offered me another one but I wasn’t 100% sure about trying it.

What sort of self help methods do you use?

It might be useful for you to know as well that the mix run nightly group chats, accessible here: http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/group-chat I’m in there most nights in the general chat, and everyone there is very supportive.
    I went through CAHMS too. They helped for a while but it was very inconvenient for me as it was too far from my college and my job. 
    Now I've sort of learned to use what I've got around me than going to therapy. 
    I do support therapy, it can make major impacts, but I also suggest trying to pin point your best methods of self help and focusing on them too. 

My self help consists of meeting with my friends, practicing breathing steadily, music.
    I actually watch ASMR or listen to sleep hypnosis videos at night to relax me. 

Thank you for your support too xx 
    It’s no problem at all @OcelotFace. I guess the thing with therapy is it will be more useful for some people than it will be for others. Inevitably some people will benefit and others won’t.

It sounds like you’ve got some great methods of helping yourself there. I’ve used mindfulness apps before with little sleep meditations on them which can be really useful sometimes - and there’s loads to choose from. 
    Morning! 
    Well I hope today is better for you. I'm really tired today so I'm hoping that doesn't mess with my mood. Wish me luck at work ahah 
    Hope work is going alright. What do you do for a job?
    I am a sales administrator for an estate agency. 
    Things got better cos i was really stressed out this morning with my anxiety kicking in for no apparent reason. 
    edited August 2020
    Ooh that’s interesting, do you enjoy it?

I’m glad your day’s got a bit better. Sometimes it does just happen for no reason when the anxiety kicks in 
    I do! I worked in a restaurant for over a year and a half, starting at 16, so this finally feels like a real job. 

Do you work? 
    Ah that’s fantastic. I don’t work. Unfortunately im currently unemployed. I left school a year ago and did a year at college but now I’m doing nothing lol 
    I like working. Financial freedom feels great so i just hate being unemployed now. 
    I hope you find something! There's so much out there. Have you considered doing a paid internship abroad? 
  • DistractionDistraction Posts: 438 Listening Ear
    Hey!

Love this thread :)

So today I finally got around to sitting down at the laptop to do some much needed computer design work for when I go back to college, so that I'm a bit better at dealing with the course, I spent an hour at it and although I didn't understand much of it I'm happy that I tried and will try again tomorrow  
    @Distraction Hey, glad you like it. I thought we needed a place to talk about work life and just general stuff that gets in the way everyday. 

What course are you doing? I've just finished my a levels so it feels amazing to get all the work done. It's good that you're trying. Most people don't :( 

It's a good idea :)

I'm doing product design, aw man you must be feeling fab!, when I got all my college work done for the summer it was the best feeling ever! I'm usually most people lol, but I want to get into second year of uni next year so hoping this helps  

What are you wanting to do now that you've done your A levels? 
    thank u :)<3 

Oh that's cool!! i've heard it's hard but can be fun when you start getting the hang of it all. One of my old friends did it an he's in his third year now i think.. hahaha I'm usually most people too, i'm surprised i passed. 

I'm currently working for an estate agency full time and i'm hoping to travel Asia next year and then settle in Japan for a few months so i can learn the language. I have a place at a uni for next year but it's not my kinda thing
    Thats good to hear haha,

wow! Asia and Japan, thats pretty amazing, have you always wanted to go to those two places? Follow your heart, I done two years of college before this course I'm on now and over that summer I travelled  doing security, I didn't enjoy my previous course and wish I kept traveling with the security team or joined the army for four years and then done this course after, my advice if you feel a pull towards something go for it, don't waste time doing something just because you feel you have to, theres always other routs  
    Yea, i've always had a fascination with those places whilst i was a kid and now i have a real opportunity to go. 
    I always follow what i feel is best, that's why im not planning to go to uni as my heart votes against it. 
    The army sounds cool, I was an army cadet for three years and was eager to join the army or even the royal marine commandos as they started accepting women. I've changed my mind now tho ahah, maybe i'll go back to that sometime in the future. 
    I'm so happy for you :)

That the best thing to do, I hope it all works out and you have a fab time with whatever you end up doing! So cool now that females are allowed to do any role in the army :D, I'm super excited about that, best of luck to you 
    Thank you :) that's so sweet of you
    I really hope you get the swing of your course and you find something that you really want to do. I know how hard it can be for someone to pin point where they want to be in the future, so good luck to you too xx
  • SnugglySlugSnugglySlug Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Personally I listen to music as it blocks out absolutely everything around me. At work etc when music isn't an option I do just try and go outside and call someone. TALKING HELPS- IT'S SO UNDERRATED 
    Underrated, maybe, but a bit overrated, in my experience. Talking, for me, is almost like a death sentence. Even if I’m able to get most stuff of my chest, I end up feeling guilty. You can never seem to satisfy me 😒
    @SnugglySlug
    I completely understand that... Obviously everyone has their own way on dealing with stuff. I just managed to feel better, even if it's slightly, by talking. 
    Do u have anything that actually helps you tho? 
  • SnugglySlugSnugglySlug Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    @OcelotFace not that I can think of, no....although I listen to music a lot. Apart from that, I guess I just “ride the waves” and see how things go.
    @SnugglySlug i know what you mean - tbh things have been good for me recently cos i finally have a regular distraction. my job is serious so i try to persuade myself that my job has more concern that the irrelevant thoughts in my head. but music is my savior too