Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Covid 19: Existential Crisis

SnugglySlugSnugglySlug Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Has the virus made anyone ever have to question their existence, or meaning in life? Being stuck at home has certainly done it for me. I’ve always been a deep thinker, and  I’ve always gotten anxious, and mostly depressed, over the prospect of what life means to me, and my purpose and place here, but ever since the virus came, that hasn’t changed, or gotten better. I’m going back to school in about a week’s time, and of course I’m anxious about going back, but at the same time, I’m thinking, what’s the meaning of going to school? What if the virus is fake, and the numbers are fabricated? or what if there is another local outbreak, and I have to stay at home again. What if I test positive for the virus, or anyone close to me does? It almost seems likes everything is worthless in a way.

What are your thoughts ?
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I wouldn't say it's specifically related to the virus, but I've always been a bit like that with questioning meanings of things and the point in things. I think for me it's a part of anxiety/depression, I'm just very used to thinking in this way. 

Have you got any support?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • SnugglySlugSnugglySlug Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    I wouldn't say it's specifically related to the virus, but I've always been a bit like that with questioning meanings of things and the point in things. I think for me it's a part of anxiety/depression, I'm just very used to thinking in this way. 

Have you got any support?
    I’ve got a therapist, and all of that, so yes, I would say I do, but oftentimes anxiety, and feelings of worthlessness, get a hold of me, and I’m not able to get the support I need, when it’s offered to me.
    I understand totally, sometimes it's hard to escape from those thoughts of worthlessness. How has your experience at school been in general?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Honestly, I haven’t been to school in months, but when I was in school, I guess it was as most people describe it as. Stressful, boring, but fun at times. I’m more nervous as to how school will be like going back.
    I think it's totally understandable to be nervous it's all a lot of change and I know I'd be really really scared if I was going back to school too. You're definitely not alone in feeling nervous about it for any reason. I think a lot of people are going to struggle with it so schools need to provide support to people like yourself. 

Have you found therapy helpful?
    Well, I got a new therapist, and I’ve only seen her once, so I guess it’s a bit of trial at the moment.
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    I mean yea being at home or in lockdown and that really gives u time to think about things as well as things for me at least started to feel the same.
    I was talking to someone about this sort of thing a few months back and they were like it jus seems like education, work and nothing else. 

I think you don't always need to feel like u have to make a point with everything you do. Sometimes you gotta take a step back and just observe what you are doing and reflect.
    It's  good to slow down a bit and I think the coronavirus situation helped that to some extent.
    It's good to question things in a good way and to try and understand things. There is a lot of good data sources out there and statistics etc. 
    But getting overloaded with news all the time can be stressful and sometimes u just gotta carry on as normally as you can.

What helps is look for the good things in life small or big and just appreciate them. I think having support is good. I found that a lot of this time people have gotten more distant and less supportive so I have personally struggled with that. 

Hows things with the therapist?