Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Students anxiety levels drop during pandemic

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
This was an interesting read 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53884401
Despite ongoing pandemic a study has suggested that students anxiety levels have dropped during.
Could this suggest that schools need to do something to make it a more safe and thriving environment?

Giving the fact that essentially in my opinion, its appearing worse than a pandemic? Regardless it's an interesting read see what you think :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    When I was at school the environment was awful for my anxiety. As @GreenTea mentioned, the pressure of having to always perform and always be at your best to conform to the expectations of teachers and peers was always a huge problem for me. So I can imagine if I’d still been at school in the period before the pandemic, my anxiety levels may have improved too.

I read this earlier on this morning and it did make me think of how unsupportive some schools (like mine) can be. School is a difficult place to be - there’s so much of that pressure and not to mention concerns about how you’re seen by your peers. I do think it should be spoken about more in schools, and support should be more easily available and kids shouldn’t feel they’re going to get into trouble for reaching out (as I did at the time). 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Lots of good responses here!

Personally school was a place I never went, my 3 oldest siblings experienced it for a while and while being mentally strong it was still tough for them, my mother decided to home school them for the last few years and and me and my other brother never had to go.

I am grateful I never went, personally believe where my mental state was that I wouldn't have been able to hack it.

It's sad that so many students have to see it as an awful place, school Is important it should be helping students shape their future not make them believe there isn't one.

I definitely think it needs improvements, actual action taken on bullying, young people encouraged to try and not feel like a failure Because they don't know the answers.
    For them to be taken seriously.

I definitely think they need a transitional period when they go back in September having been off so long :) 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited August 2020
    I agree that it’s going to be extra important for young people to get support when they go back this September (and I should hope that Scottish schools are supporting those who have gone back already). Because I know that if I was faced with the prospect of going back and having to be surrounded by large groups, interact with teachers, etc again I would be extremely anxious and I can imagine a lot of people will feel exactly the same. So support of some kind will be needed when they go back
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    This is so interesting. I really don't know how university students manage it with everything you have to deal with. Educational pressure has been a huge problem in the UK since forever, being one of the biggest contributors to mental ill-heath. Like @Laine I'm glad I never went because I wouldn't want to put myself through all the pressures of it.

I also agree that support for students is extra important now, and that having some physical learning environment definitely comes with its upsides (even if it's not mandatory to use). I wonder if the way COVID has forced people to work from home will change things for the better here? Especially since any argument against working from home has kinda fallen apart now - we've proved it's workable.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    We was literally speaking about this in my college class group chat , someone says how they hadn’t cried for 3 months now and that going back to college is going to leave them feeling over emotional again.

I have so much anxiety going back , so many worries and concerns that I considered not even going back because Honestly  I don’t even think college know how this is going to evolve and plan out .

ive already had an email to say there is going to be a one way system which throws my usual routine of using the quieter staircases out of the window and that they have changed the structure of our timetable so we’ve got got 6 x 65 minute lessons instead of 4 x85 minute lessons and 1 x 45 minute lesson . I’m bassically now going to be doing 12 lessons a week rather than 9 ... I used to struggle to get to all 9 so I don’t know how they expect me and those who also struggled to get to 12 ! 

Whilst I recognise getting back to school and education is going to be important to some e.g those with SEN/SEMH issues as it will provide *some* structure I think it’s going to increase anxiety levels again because being at home and working online  there wasn’t the pressure to stand up and speak , or even raise your hand for help , we was able to message teachers and say look I don’t understand this.
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    My mental health has been the best it's been in years since this lockdown. 

I have alopecia and trichotillomania due to stress, I haven't had hair in 6/7 years and over this lockdown period it's grown back in the space of a few weeks. 

I'm looking forward to getting back to uni but I've definitely enjoyed this break. 

I do have social anxiety and struggle to talk in front of my class and being in crowded spaces. 

I've also moved out from my kinship care with my grandparents to living with my bf so that's possibly helped, but it meant I couldn't get emotionally roped into visiting my family when I didn't want to. Overall it's just been so much better for me. 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `