Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm Coming Out- A Poem 🏳️‍🌈

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
This poem has been something that I have been thinking of writing for a long time and now I have decided that I am ready to come out and write this poem. Most of my experiences of trying to come out have been very negative and has caused me setbacks but it has given me even more determination to do this. 

It is hard to put into words but I want to try
I feel ready to reveal what sexuality I am
It's time to come out and get it off my chest
This is me and I am trying my best
No it is not a phase and yes I am sure 
I am a lesbian
And there should be no stigma about that
But some people find it funny to mock me for it
Just because I am lesbian doesn't mean I will flirt with every girl that I meet
Sometimes I want to keep quiet about it and I want people to respect that
I am a lesbian
It might not look that way to you
But it is what I am
It's time to stop hiding away
Today is the day
I will come out and say
I am a lesbian!
Relationships are not easy 
But I feel happy with being me
My girlfriend cares a lot about me and she would be proud of me for coming out
It's time to open the closet and say it out loud 
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    This was lovely to read! I'm sorry to hear that previous experiences of coming out have been negative. But it's really good to know that it hasn't put you off from coming out and being your true self <3 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Thank you 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Nice poem, Kasa :smiley: 
    Thank you 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Lovely poem <3 well done for sharing!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Lovely read Kasa thanks for sharing 💖 

I may make a little one too!  

Sucks to hear about your previous experience but they don't define you hopefully you can make some more positive memories! 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    What a beautiful poem @Kasa2103 <3 It's a very brave thing to write about. 

I'm a lesbian as well and I know it can be overwhelming to come out to other people. I just want to echo what others have said that I'm so sorry to hear that you have had negative experiences before, in many cases, people do come around with time. If you ever want to talk about those experiences or need any further support, you can always speak to Switchboard who are an LGBT+ listening service https://switchboard.lgbt/

However, The Mix community are extremely caring, empathetic and non-judgemental people and everyone here will show you the love and support that you deserve. I hope that by writing this poem and seeing the positive responses that you will feel empowered to be your authentic self and not be defined by those who did not respond positively.

Please also remember that you are never alone, sending you lots of hugs <3
    Thank you so much @PoppyB It is great that people on The Mix are so supportive towards each other including those who are LGBT. I have also used Switchboard but I feel more comfortable and confident on The Mix.
    Laine said:
    Lovely read Kasa thanks for sharing 💖 

I may make a little one too!  

Sucks to hear about your previous experience but they don't define you hopefully you can make some more positive memories! 
    Thank you so much. <3
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Kasa2103 said:
    This poem has been something that I have been thinking of writing for a long time and now I have decided that I am ready to come out and write this poem. Most of my experiences of trying to come out have been very negative and has caused me setbacks but it has given me even more determination to do this. 

It is hard to put into words but I want to try
    I feel ready to reveal what sexuality I am
    It's time to come out and get it off my chest
    This is me and I am trying my best
    No it is not a phase and yes I am sure 
    I am a lesbian
    And there should be no stigma about that
    But some people find it funny to mock me for it
    Just because I am lesbian doesn't mean I will flirt with every girl that I meet
    Sometimes I want to keep quiet about it and I want people to respect that
    I am a lesbian
    It might not look that way to you
    But it is what I am
    It's time to stop hiding away
    Today is the day
    I will come out and say
    I am a lesbian!
    Relationships are not easy 
    But I feel happy with being me
    My girlfriend cares a lot about me and she would be proud of me for coming out
    It's time to open the closet and say it out loud 
    Love the poem Well done I hope your proud you shared  <3
    Thank you. It took a lot of courage but I feel proud.
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Kasa2103 - a little late to this, but really wanted to check in and echo what everyone else in this thread has said. Super proud of you for being able to articulate your experience and be open about who you are, glad you felt comfortable to share here too <3

FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Thank you. Don't worry about being late to it.
  • MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    I hope that things have taken a turn around and are more positive for you now, I am so sorry that they were negative beforehand. This is such a creative and beautiful way of coming out, you're so brave for coming out to people. If people mock you for who you are, try not to let it get to you as hard as it may be. Be yourself because the true you is beautiful. I am glad that your girlfriend cares about you, I hope you both live a happy life together.

Apologies, I have only just seen this. <3
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Well done! Great poem. Very proud of you for being able to share who you are - you deserve to feel loved and celebrated for this, so I am sending lots of celebratory hugs to you :heart:
  • Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    Lovely and thoughtful poem @Kasa2103, I'm proud that you feel ready to embrace yourself! congrats  <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SeaweedSeaweed Posts: 26 Boards Initiate
    That's such a nice poem!!!! 😁
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    Those are really nice words.

I loved it, and I send you a big hug!

Cosmo.
  • charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    that poem is so beautiful. Someties you just need to read something like that to feel reassured
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Dancer wrote: »
    It is hard to put into words but I want to tryI feel ready to reveal what sexuality I amIt's time to come out and get it off my chestThis is me and I am trying my bestNo it is not a phase and yes I am sure I am a lesbianAnd there should be no stigma about thatBut some people find it funny to mock me for itJust because I am lesbian doesn't mean I will flirt with every girl that I meetSometimes I want to keep quiet about it and I want people to respect thatI am a lesbianIt might not look that way to youBut it is what I amIt's time to stop hiding awayToday is the dayI will come out and sayI am a lesbian!Relationships are not easy But I feel happy with being meMy girlfriend cares a lot about me and she would be proud of me for coming outIt's time to open the closet and say it out loud 

I have nominated you for post of the month it’s brilliant
    Omg awww thank you so much
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    No problem you deserve it @Dancer
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Dancer This was a lovely poem to read, i am so sorry to hear about past experiences, I hope you are ok now. I find that coming out online and to online friends is much easier than in person, do you agree? For me, personally, it helps that I don't have to see their reaction!
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    I believe coming out in any way is really powerful. It is part of being who you really are and that is really important.

However, I also appreciate the courage it takes to come out and be who you are sometimes. Well done to anyone who has achieved this <3