Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Think teddy (my dog) has anxiety

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited August 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
Teddy is my dog. He has always been noise sensitive but Now really bad. last few days he’s keeps randomly shaking and being so on edge and panting then being out of his food. And keeps clinging to me. :(. What do I do. I don’t like seeing him this distressed. I don’t know why it’s suddenly happened. 
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2020
    Just checking if this works

https://imgur.com/a/8Kwx1Kw

edit. Yeah suprisngly that does work. Even tho I posted it with “hidden post” but yeah I think it’s only with the people I share the link with

anyway. This is teddy tonight. Panting and you can see that the slight bit of noise and he’s scared. He likes to sit on my chest when scared :(
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Could it just be the fact that he's hot and uncomfortable Shaunie? Steve always used to sleep on my bed. but in the hot weather he'd go and sleep in my bathroom on the tiles. He used to walk around panting and seeming uncomfortable. I don't think it's uncommon for dogs to off of their food when it's hot, I guess they're a lot like us and often we don't have much of an appetite in the warm weather. Maybe try and get him off the bed so that he can cool down on the floor?
    Did you ever have the dog trainer come? I know you were looking into one, if you're worried he has anxiety the dog trainer will be able to find the reason for it and work on it with you.
    You can get dog cooling mats, harnesses and bandanas online if he's struggling with the heat, If you're super worried the vets are there to help too.
    He's a cutie, i hope hes okay.
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    dont all dogs do this?
    Thank yous

but no don’t think so. I know that video just probably looks like he’s hot and bothered. But it’s not that hot in our rooms and he is physically shaking. Every noise he hears he’s on edge. And keeps crawling on me like he’s scared. 

When he’s hot. He pants and is off his food. But he doesn’t shake and crawl all over me. He normally wants to be by himself when hot and don’t normally want my body heat

and when I’m getting ready he follows me everywhere. I’m putting my make up on now and he’s just sitting under my dressing table with me
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    oh vets or training then like above
    And his tail is down constantly now😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

i don’t know what vets can do? 
    I did have a trainer but they cancelled and now can’t find another one 
  • AriannaArianna Posts: 77 Budding Regular
    I guess vets might be able to help you identify whether it’s a behavioural thing or a physical one? Like if he’s shaky because he’s weak or unwell they’ll be able to fix that. Maybe give it a couple days till it cools down and see if that helps, and then book in to see a vet?
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Shaunie

I agree with above, the vets will have the best knowledge to be able to identify what the cause may be. Perhaps you could even call up and say you would just like to know whether this is something Teddy should be brought in for so they can take a look, or whether it likely is something that you can just help him with yourself - saves going in for a trip if it's not necessary :heart:

I hope Teddy is okay!

Also, incase it is heat, it could be worth getting him a cooling mat if you don't already have one to see if that helps. I got one today from B&M for £5, very cooling and therapeutic for pets!
    edited August 2020
    Thank you!  I’ll wait a few days!

i get a bit over dramatic about him. I mean I once took him to doggy a&e all because his ear was a bit read. Wasn’t even an ear infection 😂
    edited August 2020
    https://imgur.com/a/jlLjTHQ

it has sound lol)
    I think I’ve found the cause and you’re not going to believe it but I’m about 90% sure 😂😂

my sister has been watching vampire dairies none stop for past few days and he seems calmer when she’s not watching it. And then I thought it was weird that today she went out and teddy was better. So then we played vampire dairies again when he was calm and lying down by himself. And then he moved and started crawling on me and panting and shaking as soon as we put it on😭😂😂😂😂
    so yeah I’m prettt sure he’s scared of the program 😂 I googled it and dogs can be scared of certain sounds on tv and scared of horrors
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    That's so strange @Shaunie ! But like you said dogs can be scared of certains sounds, our dog Dexter is really strange he HATES it whenever someone on TV whistles. Such a weird dog.

Hopefully you're able to keep Teddy from getting all anxious now you know what the cause is. :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.