Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New default avatars

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
edited July 2020 in General Chat
Before today, default avatars were randomly generated for every new account. They looked a bit like this:

However, for technical reasons that aren't very interesting*, we needed to stop using these quite urgently.

Now, we have three custom default avatars courtesy of our Graphic Designer:

This morining, we went ahead and made the one on the far left the default, just to make sure our tech issues were fixed nice and quickly. But longer term, we're keen to see which one you guys like best and use that. Usually, we'd ask you all first, but time was precious earlier today so we had to skip that step!

So tell us what you think: how do you feel about the new avatars? Which is your fav?

----
*There was a weird error going on with Google where they were flagging our paid ads as malicious software due to some of those randomly generated avatars. No idea why, but as you can imagine it's something we needed to fix quite qickly to make sure we didn't lose our connection to our audiences or lose money.
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    These are all very cute! Much more friendly compared to the older ones I think especially the first one(of the older) was a bit creepy lol

Pretty colours too :)

Thanks graphic designer! 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2020
    Liam said:
    Oh thanks lol. Was getting so confused. 

imo I don’t like it because people with out a photo all look the same. That Random generator one - they all looked different. And I was just getting proper confused of why I saw the only the top one for nearly everyone today. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    And it makes it feel like they’re all the same person as I’m more of a visual person. . Also only three choices? That’s not really enough. I’ve also only seen the top one. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I really like the new ones :) feel more up to date with current times in terms of what they look like.
    I feel like the previous ones were just old tbh
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks everyone! This is super helpful.

As mentioned, this was mostly just a quick fix for us while we work on a longer-term solution with you folks. We agree the new ones are a bit brighter and more friendly-looking (and on-brand ;) ).

Them all being the same is a totally valid point @Shaunie. With default avatars, we can either use the randomly generated ones or set a single custom one. The obvious downside to that, as you say, is that people who don't set an avatar all look the same. Realistically there's no way we can get around that, which does kinda suck, but we should get used to it eventually.

Also only three choices? That’s not really enough. I’ve also only seen the top one. 

Just to check I'm interpreting this right: do you mean more design options would be good? In theory we could trial each of the three new ones as the default for a week or so each, if that's a popular idea.
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Mike I'm not sure if this is already a thing but can people select a default avatar? S
    Do they have a choice of the above three of is one randomly selected but I think it could be good to allow people who perhaps don't want to upload an image to choose a default one which best fits them :)
    Alis propriis volat 
    Eleanor said:
    Mike I'm not sure if this is already a thing but can people select a default avatar? S
    Do they have a choice of the above three of is one randomly selected but I think it could be good to allow people who perhaps don't want to upload an image to choose a default one which best fits them :)
    Unfortunately not @Eleanor, though that would be a cool feature! In theory, they could save any of the images in this post and then upload it avatar. So that might be an option - potentially a thread with defaults people can use if they choose to. Not as simple of course, but maybe a middle ground.
    @Mike @The Mix Everyone's avatars seem to have turned into a default avatar? Not sure if this is just me getting this or? 
    Alis propriis volat 
    Eleanor said:
    @Mike @The Mix Everyone's avatars seem to have turned into a default avatar? Not sure if this is just me getting this or? 
    @Eleanor, might be a silly question but when you say 'everyone', as in literally every account?
    @Mike Everyone except my own, it keeps on coming and going now but it's mostly always default avatars 

Alis propriis volat 
    Mine was doing that too last night. Seems ok today? 
    @GreenTea Oh that's strange, mine is still like it 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    Mine is still doing it too
    Hmm, okay thanks guys, this is useful. We'll do some digging. :)
    Most people have their profile picture back on mine? Some people don't?.. Liam doesn't but I can see mike, mine, Eleanor and Laine profile pictures from people in this thread 
  • MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    It's always nice to have some colour!
    So it looks like we may have fixed this. Can any of you guys confirm?
    Seems fine now @Mike
    Alis propriis volat 
    Yh it's fine now :)