Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you save?

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
I’m just wondering really. I have no money saved and feel bit bad about it. I’m 21 
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Do you save? 15 votes

Yeah I’ve saved a lot
20%
GreenTeaZenDandelion 3 votes
Yeah I’ve saved a bit
53%
Ed_JustVPast UserLainemags98PoppyBPast UserMel_ 8 votes
Yeah just started saving
6%
JamJar 1 vote
Have nothing saved
20%
independent_SienaStarlight 3 votes

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Have nothing saved
    I really want/need to start saving. Have been meaning to open a savings account for a number of years but just never got round to it. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Yeah I’ve saved a lot
    I have a saving account, when I get paid I leave between £50-£100 in my normal account and the rest goes into savings. If there's already money in my account then I just put all my wages in savings 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Yeah I’ve saved a lot
    I’m pretty good at not spending much money, so most of mine goes into my savings. It’s easier with a student loan though because I don’t really have to spend much of the money that I earn at work, so a lot of that gets saved. 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Yeah I’ve saved a bit
    Interested to see where people are on this scale, try not to feel bad about not having saved money so far @Shaunie, so much about saving is unique to individual's circumstances, so it can be hard to compare.

It can feel really hard to know where to start, however, as others have said, putting little bits aside to start with can be helpful, and budgeting can be a great way of planning this out. Has anyone had a go at the e-learning we made with MyBnk? Modules are in 10 minute chunks, so really easy to learn some great skills: https://www.themix.org.uk/get-involved/skill-up
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Yeah I’ve saved a bit
    Thanks mostly to a cheap living situation combined with a London wage, I've managed to save pretty decently in my time living here. Was a bit tougher with my situation in Cornwall and I'd echo what Ed said about it being unique to everyone's individual circumstances. Sometimes it feels like older generations put pressure on young people to save, when sometimes it's just not realistic.

Like @Aidan I save for emergencies and make sure I have living expenses for a few months in case I end up out of work or something unexpected happens and I need to fork out for a big expense.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited July 2020
    Yeah I’ve saved a lot
    I had a head start in saving when I was given a lot of money at 18 lol. Don't have much of it left but I add £200 or £150 a month to it. 

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Have nothing saved
    Thank you all. I shouldn’t compare but seems most save 😅. But yeah I work 8 hour a week lol but impossible.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Yeah just started saving
    Hey @Shaunie
    When I was 21 I didn't have any savings. That was partly because I had just spent them all when I went travelling. I have always been someone who spends money on experiences and if something in the present looks like it will be fun then I won't mind spending money on it. It's only in the past 4-5 months that I've actually started saving some. A useful app that has helped me to start the habit of saving money is Moneybox, check it out if you're interested :) 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Yeah I’ve saved a bit
    Interesting to see your point about it being tough in Cornwall @Mike everyone has their own circumstances for sure but I think it's a pricey place for most.

I'm finding it real tricky especially bus fair and everything considered I'm definitely planning on moving out for uni! 

I've always been in that position @Shaunie worried about if I save enough compared to others, as I don't get very much it can go pretty quick due to needing things and enjoying having money to actually spend haha

I save bits by in case it needs to be borrowed, if I run out of bits or if my shoes break unexpectedly etc.

Everyone's different and I think there's a fine line like we should save for what we need and put some away but you can save too much I think there's nothing wrong treating yourself to something nice :) 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld