Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs for disabled?

froggychairfroggychair Posts: 1 Just got here
All my friends are getting jobs and I want one so bad but I have chronic pain and really bad anxiety surrounding it so I have so many limitations that I can’t imagine any job that would be suitable for me, does anyone know one? I wouldn’t be able to do it for more than 3-4 hours a day (4 would be very exhausting for me) and not more than 3 days a week (2 is optimal). I don’t mind if the pay is low, I just want something :( my disability isn’t actually under disabilities either, so idek if I’ll be able to claim disability when I’m 18 even though it effects my life so much :( any advice?

Comments

• JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    I see this is your first post @froggychair so I just thought I'd welcome you to The Mix. I hope you find the support you are looking for here.

If I understand your post correctly you are currently under 18 with a disability that gives you chronic pain and anxiety, you want to try find a job that would be suitable for you. You mention that your disability isn't "under disabilities" would you be able to clarify what you mean by that? No worries if you don't want to do that :smile:

It sounds like you want to be out and about doing something so you want to find a job suitable for you. It might be worthwhile taking a look at this link. It's from a UK charity that which aims to represent the needs of disabled people across the UK. The page I have linked is "Careers and work for disabled people." I know it's a long article, so in particular it might help if you read the section called "Careers Advice", "Looking for job vacancies", and "disability organisations that help job seekers" as they seem most relevant you right now.

If you are at school or college, do you have access to a careers adviser? They might be able to give you some help. It might also be worth talking through this with your GP, who will be more qualified to give you an idea if you could claim disability. 

Have you considered volunteering? Voluntary organisations are often a lot more flexible on the commitment and hours they need for you. If you are under 18, it might be a helpful stepping stone to understand what sort of support you'd need in a paid job.

Let me know what you think and if this was of any help! :smile:
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey froggy welcome! :)
     Echoing Jordan a careers adviser may be able to help or some charities.

Off the top of my head suggestion wise I have a few.

Is your chronic pain surrounding everything? Not just standing but also using hands etc?

I was thinking maybe you could take a part time receptionist job? Any kind of sitting office job may be an idea.

Taking frequent breaks is a good idea.

Volunteering could be a good idea many opportunities you can do from the comfort of your home or even charity shops :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hi, as others have suggested volunteering may be worth looking into as they often have shifts with less hours. It is possible to find jobs with small hours though. I work in retail and I work 8 hours a week split over two days. I would look on indeed or ask a careers advisor maybe and look for weekend jobs as a lot of them are only 4 or 8 hours a week. Also maybe smaller independent places may be able to accommodate you and offer shorter shifts, so if you are able it may be worth handing your CV into places like that. I hope you find something that works for you x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • sailingswallowssailingswallows Posts: 68 Boards Initiate
    Hi,
    If you have a condition that had a significant and long term impact on your life you do come under disabled. 
    You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.
    https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010
    Also start considering what adaptions would help you as you should be able to get some help from access to work. 
    As far as careers find something that you are passionate about, its far easier to find ways of making something work if you like what you are doing. Have a look into online jobs as they can often be easier for those of us with chronic pain.
    hope this helps
    Ge