Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Retail shops

SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
edited September 2023 in Health & Wellbeing
I work in retail and my shop is trending on twitter because everyone's rushing to get in and massive ques. Reading the tweets I'm scared to go in on Saturday. Allot say they feel sorry for the worker who have to go back lol. I've also read people being rude to staff in supermarkets since lockdown as they get frustated. People can be rude without the lockdown so bit scared. I mean atleast i will have space to breath now
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,614 Legendary Poster
    Shops aren’t open here in Scotland yet but I do find it strange how we can’t meet our friends and family inside but we could go and queue to get into Primark...

I do feel sorry for the workers. In the same way that I feel sorry for workers in places like Maccies where the queues were massive.

Queues everywhere are actually calming down here, even at supermarkets. I won’t be rushing to Primark or any shop when it opens though because I reckon the queues will be huge.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Shaunie, I work for Primark too, I’ve been trying to get a transfer so I’m still furloughed for now but I understand your worry around going back to work. From what I’ve heard from my friends back at work today the queue is a little shorter than it was this morning, and people are respecting social distancing. Hopefully this will be the case at your store. Hopefully by Saturday it will have calmed down a bit as well and people will have realised that Primark isn’t going anywhere 😂. Good luck with your shift on Saturday I’m sure everything will go fine x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2020
    Im scared ill do something wrong. Or i forget about corona and go a bit close to people. Shall i wrote corona on my hand. (Jokeslol). I didnt know you worked at primark too!  Do you know what happens with the people who have not got asked back. Cause not everyones been asked back. Are they still getting money?
    Post edited by TheMix on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited July 2020
    I was originally asked to come back but I then later got put on furlough for two weeks to stop me from travelling back to uni from my hometown whilst I wait for a transfer back to my hometown. If that makes any sense it’s kind of confusing lol. Everyone who isn’t coming back though is still on furlough and getting paid, don’t know how long it will be before they ask more people to come back in though. 

I’m sure you won’t do anything wrong, it’s so easy to forget about social distancing. I sometimes do it when I go out. It’s going to be new for everyone so hopefully you’ll all just get used to the new way of doing things eventually ❤️
    Post edited by TheMix on
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    Omg thats annoying. Lol. Id rather get paid 80% and not work😭 20% goes on my traveling anyway. Ugh. But they asked people who have been there the longest. Ive been there for 4 years😓. I only work 8 hours a week tho. 

ah yeah ive heard its hard to be transfered
    My furlough pay actually works out being more than my normal pay, due to all the overtime I did last summer. I only work 8 hours too, which is why I want a transfer I don’t want to have to live on my own for the sake of 8 hours a week 😂 I’ve worked there about 3 years and it’s a pretty good job so I can’t complain though. 

Is there anyway you could ask to be put back on furlough or is that just too confusing to do lol 
    I hate it. Literally feel like killing myseld everytime i walk there. Where d id you work on the tils or shop floor or stock? Yeah 250 a month is nothing. Give most of it to my dad and been living like thay for years until now on univerisal credit aswell and they give me like £190. 

Ahah na theyre probs be like you lazy shit
    I work on tills, which I don’t mind at the weekend because it means I’m away from the huge crowds on the shop floor. I don’t mind working on floor when it’s quieter though. I know 250 isn’t great but it’s better than nothing I guess. That’s annoying you have to give it to your dad, my parents don’t make me pay rent or anything atm thankfully. 
    Ohh i was contracted to work on tills but i work on the shop floor. IM too anxious to be on the tills knowing i have to speak to customers 24/7. But soo  packed on shop floor barely any space to move but atleast social distancing will make that better
    About to start work and i am really scared😭
    Good Luck I hope everything goes okay and it’s a bit quieter now, let us know how it went when you get back x
    Thank you! It went okay but felt like forever. I was just basicaly the person walking around womans shoes telling people to not try them on. So many people trying to try them on. It wasnt busy at all tho. Lots of room to social disance. Someone was trying to be rude to me about not letting them try the shoes and sign isnt big enough but yeah just kinda ignored her lol.  Also @Dandelion dont supoose you know anything about a new staff discount coming on 28th. They said it in one of those meetings on the stairwell but didnt any anything other than that ahah
    I’m glad it was quiet for you, even though that sometime makes it drag lol and that people kept their distance that’s good. I hate it when people are rude, I don’t really know why people would assume it’s okay to try shoes on atm lol. Staff discount starts on 28/6 and ends on 25/7 same as normal I think so you can only get it in your home store and stuff like that x
    edited June 2020
    Ohh thanks dandelion. I didnt know that. Is that every year? How much discount?10% How did you know? Sorry for too many quesions ah
    That’s alright 😊 we get it four times every year for a month each time. That dates change slightly but it’s normally once every season. It’s 10% and just remember to ask for the transaction to be done as a staff purchase. We find out usually by posters in the staff room or notices on our Facebook group chat. Don’t know if your store is the same though x