Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting Support With Mental Health

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
Hi everyone,

Earlier I was in a conversation on WhatsApp with some of the girls from the SEN Unit at my school. It was a conversation between me and 2 other girls (I will call them A and B.)

This is how the conversation went: 

A: How is everyone today?
B: Good
Me: Tired. Didn't get out of bed until nearly 2pm. Only got out of bed because I needed a shower.
A: OK but as your friend are u OK 👍for yes and 👎for no
Me: Honestly struggling with school. And tired.
B: Oh.
Me: Just finding things hard
B: So are you 👎or are you 👍 in a nice way are you OK?
Me: Honestly 👎
A: OK thanks for telling me that you are the best 😘👌☺️🤗
Me: It's just like I am struggling with my mental health. No idea who to talk to.
B: You can talk to me.
Me: You wouldn't understand.  Some of the girls at school are quite mean.
B: How?
Me: Does it matter?
B: I want to know.
Me: Maybe you should come into school one day.
B: I can't sorry.
Me: Okay.
Me: Got punched by another year 9 on Thursday. Almost been pushed down the stairs by the same year 9. Been dragged around and pushed a lot by two of the year 9's. Yelled at. Called names. Left out of stuff. Haven't been injured though.
B: Oh.
Me: :(
Me: Struggling mentally.
B: I feel bad now.
Me: Don't worry about me.
B: I am.
Me: Thanks.
A: I'm so sorry those girls are so mean I'm so sorry 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Me: Thanks.
Me: I feel like I am losing my mind with homework though
Me: I feel like young people need to be made more aware about struggles with mental health.

It took a lot of courage for me to open up about my mental health struggles even to my friends. I feel like I want to get professional support but I don't know how to start a conversation or who to contact. I also worry about confidentiality due to only being 14. 

I keep on really struggling with my anxiety and always feeling depressed and traumatised. I think that it is the bullying and a past bereavement that have triggered these emotions. 

Thank you everyone for reading. Going to actually try and get some sleep tonight. 
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Hope you get a good night's rest. Getting professional help is good and they can help prompt you to talk by asking questions. I know I talked to a Councillor at my school and they could not promise confidentiality because of my age and its to help protect me and possibly others and this personally made it harder to talk but I would say it is worth giving a go to see if it works for you and helps you. I do believe if you go to a prove therapist or Councillor most will promise confidentiality no matter your age but I'm not positive. I hope this can be of some help. 

Again sleep well :) 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Thank you. 

I have spoken to the school counsellor before but it was mainly about issues around my anger and a phobia that I have. She broke confidentiality twice but it was with my permission. At that time I was only 13 so it was surprising that she kept so much of it confidential.

The school counsellor got furloughed (however you spell it) so I cannot actually talk to her until at least September  (and I have to ask my student support officer to arrange the sessions because at my school you have to get a referral from student welfare) but I don't want to bother my student support officer with stuff about my mental health. And my student support officer was also furloughed anyway.

Eventually got to sleep just before 1am.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Kasa2103 how are you doing today? 

It’s great that you’ve started to open up and to start thinking about options to get more support. But sounds like the bullying you’re having to endure is awful, I’m really sorry to hear that. 

How about trying to get an appointment with your GP to talk about it? Most GP practices are operating over the phone at the moment and they will be able to direct you to other support services in your area. Otherwise we are here for you at the Mix and there are plenty of other online and phone support services if you’d prefer that. Let us know what you think and we might be able to share experiences or try and help direct you to the right place.

take care, sending you hugs 💜
    Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Hey Kasa, 

You are all kinds of brave for deciding to reach out, to both your friend's and looking for professional support. You're right it takes a lot of courage to speak about mental health and decide you want to talk to a professional. You are doing so well  <3

I understand that you are worried about your age and confidentiality. You 100% have a right to confidential services at your age and whenever you see a counsellor it's okay to ask lots and lots of questions about their confidentiality policy, keep asking until you feel comfortable that you understand it. 

Did you know The Mix has a confidential counselling service that you can do online or over the phone? Have you thought about trying this before? 

Also, there are a few other online counselling services for young people - such as Kooth (although it depends on where you live if you can get counselling through Kooth - but pop in your address and see, they will be able to tell you).

Online counselling is a great way to get the support you need. You can do it over the phone or web chat if you are worried about being overheard at home. 

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions.

Keep being brave and reaching out for the support you need Kasa, so proud of you. 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

Thank you @Italia Unfortunately my anxiety stops me from being able to ask for help which honestly seems really sad but it just feels normal for me. :(

When I said professional help I meant like longer term support rather than just short term support like the webchat counselling. The Mix has been very helpful but I feel like I will have no support after the 8 weeks of webchat counselling (5 sessions left to go.) 

I will consider what you have said to me but I honestly just feel really anxious.
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Kasa2103
    You're brave for reaching out for help and sharing how you're feeling here and with your school counsellor, especially when you struggle with your anxiety. 

It's understandably scary feeling like you will have no support when your webchat counselling is over, and it's good you're considering some more long term support. I also agree with Italia that there is great support online, even for a few months until lockdown lifts further and more in person support starts opening back again. 

It can be scary reaching out for help but you're braver than you think and it's inspiring how open you've been here. We are all here for you. 
    Thank you Gemma. The bullying at school has actually stopped now (for now) and the bullies have even apologised and tried to solve things with me. But my mental health is still hard for me to cope with. Struggled with mental health for most of my life. Even before I started secondary school. 
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    I'm glad to hear that the bullies have stopped and have tried to make things right, though it's understandable that you would be apprehensive. You're strong for dealing with your mental health for so long, even when it feels like you're really struggling. 
    Thank you. Childline has helped me so much with coping but now they have lost my trust. Or at least a supervisor has. But at least I have a support network to turn to. Learnt about the importance of support networks earlier.