Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

COVID-19 and signing for a property

sianceirisianceiri Posts: 1 Just got here
So, I am supposed to be going to oxford in September for a year long placement in a hospital with 4 other students. We have seen a house we love and have paid a holding deposit for it in February. However, due to COVID-19 the hospital has told us to delay any contract signings for a property as the future for our placement is so uncertain. So, we've requested that we delay the contract signing for the property to the landlord and he gave us two weeks extension? which is of course not enough time in a pandemic as we still have no idea what the situation will be in September and whether our placement will actually take place. 
Just wondering, is there anything to protect our rights for the holding fee? Surely no one is looking for a property in the middle of a pandemic, and it is unlikely they will find replacement tenants in the meantime. we're asking for an extension until June, maybe July? until the hospital or government can confirm that life will be (almost) back to normal in september. 

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Is the holding deposit refundable? If so, I'd give an ultimatum - either get a longer extension or just pull out. Getting an awesome house is great, but if given unreasonable demands it will make it a nightmare for the whole time you're there x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.