Home General Chat Positivity Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scary things that aren't really scary

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
What scary things have you done that turned out to be absolutely fine? Maybe even a time where you felt a bit silly or laughed at yourself afterwards for worrying so much?

It could be something everyday (though not necessarily easy) like going to the shop or eating a meal, or something more out of the ordinary like a medical exam or sharing something personal with someone. :)
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Getting the bus on my first day of college I was scared I was going to be the only one getting off at my stop and scared I was going to get off at the wrong stop .... turns out 3/4 of the bus was full of students going to the same college 😅
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • joyajoya Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    In my first job there was a class with twenty-five people, we all started the same day. The contract was for just one year, so we created a really cool bond together during that time together.

There was a farewell party on our last day and I remember feeling really bad. I didn't know how to handle the farewell, so I went into the bathroom and cried for most of the party. When I left, my face was red from crying and people noticed. I remember being very afraid of their judgment or even jokes, but everyone was very kind to me and knew how to welcome me in a very genuine way. I remember it was one of the best days of my life, because I showed some weakness and I was afraid of it, but everyone there was kind to me and even shared how sad they were too. Without intention, I made everyone cry and open their minds about the lack that we would make for each other. We were a great team even on our last day working together.

It was a really tense event at first, but it had an outcome that today makes me smile in a pure way ^^
    everything always goes ^^
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Going to church 😂 sounds silly now but yesterday I was so anxious I threw up 🙈 I thought everyone would judge me as the mentally ill one, as they knew me before I got sectioned, but they were all really happy to see me 😊 turned out fine and hopefully going back for a service on Wednesday 😊
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Just got me thinking and now I have loads but this is an important one!

Smear tests (and checks down there). It's so important to get done but I didn't realise how many people put it off til I went... When I turned 18 I was due a smear test (think the age has upped now(why?))  but ended up putting it off until the trauma when I kinda had to let them down there (is this okay to post?) but honestly the smear turned out fine, she could see how anxious I was so got a sticker which we both laughed about 😂 but they see it the whole time and they just get on with it.. Its nothing to be embarrassed about and it's so so important to get done. They reassured me throughout and talked me through what they were doing so it wasn't just silence 😊
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    @BubblesGoesBoo such a great post about the importance of smear tests - and it's really helpful to hear what the process is like :) well done for getting through it <3

Scary thing that happened to me: I remember when I first came out as a lesbian to my best friend around 5 years ago, I was absolutely terrified that she would not want to be friends with me any more. But she was really supportive and reassured me loads, saying she was so happy that I could be honest with her and  that that nothing at all would change between us. And honestly I look back now and I'm so glad I built up the courage to tell her because we are still as close as ever to this day :)
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2020
    Absolutely loving these! It's amazing what we work ourselves up about. Also really warming to hear that you guys had such good experiences with some things that could definitely feel super scary - a real testement to your courage that you got yourself through those situations.

You never know, someone reading this thread might have needed to hear some of these stories. :)

--
    A big one for me is interviews. They make me more nervous than just about anything else in life but, on the few times I've been to them, I've relaxed completely as soon as I've gotten in the room. Because when I'm there, suddenly I realise 'oh, they're just people'. They want me to do well and they want to get to know me in a genuine way. I know I'm there because I was chosen to be and they want me there, so it's okay for me to relax into that and be authentic.

That said, my brain loves to forget all that when I have one coming up. ;)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    thought i'd bring this thread back :)

yesterday I went to an online zoom church meeting, was so scared about it cause well I looked awful and I really struggle with self image so thought they would judge me, but really they were all just glad to see me :) also don't really know how to use zoom so was nervous about getting it wrong, damn anxiety! haha but it turned out fine :)

another scary thing I done was tell my manager I had a fever, was so scared they were gonna furlough me or sack me cause I've been off so much, but they sent me home as a precaution (it's an infection fever not covid-19 fever) and im going back in on Friday :) my colleague covered my shift for me today and im so thankful of her, I get to keep my job again! :) 
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Opening doors
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Aidan I still have the same fear! I hate going down escalators and will take the stairs if that's an option :joy: When I was in school we went abroad on a trip and there was the biggest escalator I've ever seen and everyone was going down it but I didn't because that's a no from me! My teacher had to take the giant set of stairs with me because they weren't allowed to let us go alone  :joy:

Alis propriis volat