Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How many forms of birth control do you know?

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
Hey folks i've wanted to make a post about the various forms of birth control for ages now and it popped back into my mind tonight.
For ages i thought the pill was only the thing that i could use and the lack of info in college was outstanding  i thought i'd put a bit about all the ones i know :)

The Pill: The one we all know may know about. There is the combined pill and the mini pill(pop) 
combined contains two forms of artificial hormones to mimic oestrogen and progesterone. the mini pill is progesterone only.
This when taken perfectly is over 99% effective. the pro's are:
helps with heavy or painful periods. only commonly has minor side effects and has no evidence to prove it causes weight gain.
cons are: 
has to be remembered every day,
effective rate can go down if not taken on time,
can be affected by other medications
is not suggested for women over 35 who smoke or have certain conditions(commonly dvts)

The injection: This is injected by a nurse or doctor and lasts commonly for 8 to 13 weeks (depending on type) and if done correctly can be over 99% effective. 
Pro's are: Not having to remember to take a pill every day.
Good for women who cannot have contraceptives with oestrogen
is not affected by other medications.
cons are: having to remember to book another appointment before it runs out.
having to get an injection often.
it can take a year for fertility to return to normal so not best to consider if you plan on having kids soon.
it may make periods longer or heavier (though it can stop them or make them lighter)

The Implant(my current one): is a small flexible rod inserted under the skin in the upper arm.
this is also progesterone only and lasts 3 years. 
inserted correctly is over 99% effective and actually the most effective(99.95%)
pro's: no contraceptive concerns for 3 years.
can stop periods or make them lighter(done wonders for my endo)
good for women who can't take oestrogen based ones
can be removed whenever and fertility returns to normal very quickly.
Cons:
can make periods constant or heavier(a month of the pill alongside it can help)
may cause some swelling and bruising after insertion
the idea of it getting put in may not be great to some
some medicines can make it less effective

The IUD/Coil: these are almost as effective as the implant making them over 99%. and can last between 5 to 10 years (there is a hormonal one and non hormonal one) these are inserted into the cervix
pro's consist of: it works as soon as inserted,
can be inserted at any point during menstrual cycle
can be make periods stop or lighter(but has potential to make them heavier for first few months)
cons are:
can be painful during and after fitting, painkillers may be needed to help.
theres a small risk of infection after
and a small risk of it being pushed out.
it has to be checked every so often.

there is also less commonly known the patch. which lasts for 1 one week. you do this for 3 weeks then have a week off from it. This contains oestrogen and progesterone. you can wear it in shower, but it may raise blood pressure and can in rare cases cause a blood clot. this is also over 99% effective.

sorry for the lengthy thread but if you have any questions or want to share your experiences go ahead! i can share my experience of the pill too :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Comments

• ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Thanks for refreshing the memory, it's been a decade since I had it in school. I use the pill and it has another pro for me. I take three strips after each other and then have my stopweek (you have to talk to your doctor about it before you do this, don't try it on your own). I get my period now 4 times a year. As my skin get very dry from pads and I can't use tampons, this way my skin has enough time to get back to normal again.
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Thanks for refreshing the memory, it's been a decade since I had it in school. I use the pill and it has another pro for me. I take three strips after each other and then have my stopweek (you have to talk to your doctor about it before you do this, don't try it on your own). I get my period now 4 times a year. As my skin get very dry from pads and I can't use tampons, this way my skin has enough time to get back to normal again.
    Oh that's very positive! I used to skip the pill free week sometimes as my periods are horrendous. I started the pill purely for periods but switched to the implant as it felt more effective for me I had anxiety about taking it on time that I was literally sat there waiting at 8 every night for the exact minute to strike. 

I miss how good it was for my periods as I still have regular ones on my implant but it's still better than without :) 

I get quite dry skin and rashes from pads myself but I also can't use tampons it's a struggle lol

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

@Laine do you find that it made a big difference in how bad your periods are?

I actually didn't had any issues before but I got cramps since I use the pill xd
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    This is really good @Laine, I think you can also get the ring, which has similar pros and cons to the patch, but you put it in for 3 weeks and then take out and have a period. These don’t seem that common though I definitely read about them on the NHS website.

I know what you mean re the anxiety about taking the pill on time when using it for contraception, I do overthink it even if it’s an hour or so later than normal. But the thought of injections, implants etc scare me a lot lol I hate needles.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    @ThePigeons I also take the pill and I used to have quite bad periods, not really painful but extremely heavy and it’s really helped with that. I think a lot of women find that it does help with these sorts of problems. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    @Laine do you find that it made a big difference in how bad your periods are?

I actually didn't had any issues before but I got cramps since I use the pill xd
    A huge difference mine were crippling for the first two days I would have to take time off college as I would spend the day crying in bed, nothing would help except to ride it out lol
    I now experience painful cramping but mild so that I can still go about my day.
    Periods on contraception aren't really real periods so it can be different for others. For me it's far mild but if you never got cramps you will probably feel them 

I get that @independent_
    I have awful needle issues so the Injection was a no go. I liked the idea if an implant and talked to a sexual nurse about it who then offered to do it there and then lol I think it was better as choosing I may have chickened out but it was great looked away and only experienced a minor sting of the local anesthetic before my arm went numb didn't feel the implant go in and didn't have any pain much after :) 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

Of course there is also the condom. And if you're having trouble with the hormones you could try another brand or method. I know a lot of girls who got very emotional because the pill they used. There's also a pill that uses a placebo in the stopweek if you find it hard to remember when you have to start again.
    Yep the copper coil is meant to be a good non hormonal contraceptive for those who struggle with hormones 

Of course wee also have female condoms but they look weird! Lol

Some very effective methods of birth control there @Aidan good to see the men getting involved 😂 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

Haha @Aidan, I was going to make a sarcastic comment about being in a long distance relationship during this lockdown being good birth control but thought I should be informative instead ;) 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    @Laine

Hey I have the implant too! I had a really good experience on mine as it stopped my periods, Giving me time to recover mentally from a truama.
    I've never really thought about other contraception ways but I know for a fact I'll be so forgetful with pills!

I had a friend on the patch who fell pregnant and I've read several stories about how it isn't very effective.

I'm due to have my implant out but I'm absolutely shitting it. has anyone had experience of having it removed?
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    hey, im on the implant too! have been since I was 14 lol, its been really good for me :) I've only had one blip with it when I had a psychotic episode I thought the government was tracking me through it so I cut it out myself :cold_sweat:  so maybe not the best if you have psychotic episodes....

another downside to the injection is it thins the bones if you're on it for a long period of time … I got taken off it cause I already have thin bones due to my ed history 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    @GreenTea
    Admittedly i was terrified of that after getting it in thinking what have i done??! lol

did you get given a local anaesthetic during insertion? its pretty similar process taking out you get some local, get it removed which is 2 seconds if it was inserted correctly and then if you want another they pop the new in :)

A good point @BubblesGoesBoo ! a friend of mine is on the injection and told me it can't be too long term for that reason

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

Yess I had local anaesthetic having it put in. I went so light-headed and felt so faint after haha oops. I'm scared to get it removed because I stupidly watch a video where the removal went wrong and it was messy hahaha
    I've done that to myself @GreenTea
    its important to remember its not common aha 

i felt a bit faint after she told me to sit up as i tried to stand straight away haha

its not so bad it doesn't hurt at all its best to breathe and let them know if you're worried! 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

The bandaging for the implant makes me laugh.. a butterfly stitch, a plaster and a full on wrap around bandage. 😂 It so so dramatic 
    Oh wow really? when i got it inserted she just gave me a plaster i think it was a peppa pig one hahah

you get a bandage for removal to prevent bruising 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

I got the full monty then haha. Yeh they sent full out in the bandage.. it wasn't fun
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    This is really good @Laine, I think you can also get the ring, which has similar pros and cons to the patch, but you put it in for 3 weeks and then take out and have a period. These don’t seem that common though I definitely read about them on the NHS website.

I know what you mean re the anxiety about taking the pill on time when using it for contraception, I do overthink it even if it’s an hour or so later than normal. But the thought of injections, implants etc scare me a lot lol I hate needles.
    I completely agree that injections are really scary. I also hate needles!
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous