Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried about exams

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
I’ve had this friendship bracelet since I was in year 5, ever since then I’ve had it in my pocket for every single exam I’ve taken. When I moved back home from uni due to the lockdown I had to pack in a hurry and I suddenly remembered I’ve left my bracelet at uni. I know it’s sounds so stupid, but I’m going to fail my exams without it. I’m such an idiot and I have no idea what to do now, there’s no way to get it back before my exams, but I can’t do my exams without it. I’m going to fail my exams now unless I get it back but even if lockdown gets lifted before my exams I doubt my parents will drive me all the way back to uni. 

I was already really worried about my exams as it’s a new format due to coronavirus and I’m going to have to do it at home, where I really don’t work well. Realising that I don’t have my bracelet has just made me even more worried about them. I know I can’t pass them without it. 
The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey that's understandable. We feel big connections with objects. And sometimes think they can change a situation. Like literally today i put my pjmas on- the ones that i ran down the streets in because teddy ran away because i was stupid enough to let him out to see what he would do- while putting it on i started to think maybe these pjmas Make me do stupid things lol. But realistically objects can give us assocations in our head and maybe making us feel better or worse can affect us. But they don't actually change the situation and what is happening.  Maybe that doesn't make any sense. But it's all understandable. 

If there isn't a way maybe you could have something new for you to keep hold off while taking your exams at home. That can make you feel or remind you off similar
     Also justout of interest if your doing it from home can't you just google the answers?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    It sounds like you are anxious because you have left a bracelet that you feel makes you better at what you do. Like @Shaunie says it is normal to associate certain feelings with objects, or even be inspired or made more confident by the.

Looking at the broader situation, do you think it's just the fact that you left the bracelet at University that is making you more anxious, or do you perhaps think that the new exam format, doing exams at home, and the current situation is also making you anxious? 

Shaunie's suggestion of finding something new to temporarily use that also means something to you is nice.

Let us know how you are feeling :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I’m not really sure what is making me nervous, I was already really nervous about the new format, but I think realising I didn’t have my bracelet made it worse. I’ve had it for literally every exams I’ve done, interviews, driving test everything like that. So I think if I had it I would feel better about my exams and because I don’t I’m just sure I’m going to fail. 

@Shaunie the exams have changed format so it’s more like an essay we have to do in 3 hours, so we’re allowed to research stuff as we would when normally writing an essay. Which in a way makes it harder as it normally takes me weeks to research and write and essay and in the exam we’re only going to have 3 hours. 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Dandelion

I totally understand how you feel. I am a uni student too so I understand your worries in that aspect. But also, I had a very special necklace that I had for every single exam, every single test etc and I lost it the day before my final A level. I was so incredibly worried like you were. However, I realised the thing that comforted me when I felt so upset was honestly just giving my childhood teddy bear a big cuddle that night, so I actually slipped my bear into my bag for that final exam and it helped a lot. And as much as I was convinced I couldn't do the exam without my necklace, everything turned out perfectly fine. Is there another object that comforts you?

Best of luck. You have got this :heart:
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I defo agree with shaunie and coc0 it can be heartbreaking to lose the thing that brings us happiness and makes us feel lucky. But you could maybe find something else, as you are at home are there any childhood things you could use? nothing more lucky than something you have had for years.

Or something you are really fond of? if something brings us joy it will help tremendously so think of something you really like for example i don;t know llamas lol then you could have a llama teddy or keychain.

memories are another good one. something that takes you back to a lovely day, or makes you think of someone, i have a picture of my college group from last year in a locket i always wear. the same as my ring :)

its hard times but rest assured you will do great i believe so <3 we're all here 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld