Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

athletics&drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm a serious athlete in hard-training, but because it is off-season, there are no drug tests and so I have been smoking a lot of weed. A lot. Anyone know how that could be affecting my performance? And what about long term effects? Or effects of smoking often? I heard somewhere that it is worse for your lungs than cigarettes and I would never touch a cigarette, so now I'm a little worried.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It doesn't do your Aerobic system any favours at all. I'm not sure which does the more damage to your lungs, but both will signifcantly reduce performance. Also cordination suffers, which can lead to reduced performance (in sports where it's important) and potentially more accidents during training due to incorrect form. It's not too bad as drugs go, but doesn't help. One thing to remeber is traces will remain at levels sufficient to get you to test positive for something like 2 months, so bear that in mind for pre competion. Although depending on your sport, you may have signed away to possibly be randomly tested at any time, including out of season.
  • Options
    All smoking is bad for u!!

Smoking weed/cigs restricts the blood flow around ur body, meaning ur heart will have to pump harder to move the blood around, resulting in u requiring more oxygen resulting in ur gasping for air much quicker than usually

Weed (well resin) has more tar in than cigarettes, so this is why its worse for u. Smoke skunk where possible as this contains less tar, and is stronger to :D

Stop smoking weed about 2 months before the start of ur training season, as this will leave it a good amount of time for it to clear ur system.
  • Options
    Even athletes need to have a little fun every now and then. The key is moderation. Of course weed is a little harsher than cigs but most people don't sit around smoking joints 20 times a day. I think smoking a couple times a week is going to be relatively harmless as long as its not a daily ritual. As far as drug testing, 2 months is a ridiculous amt of time to get it out of your system. A month tops and for someone who doesn't smoke a lot probably 3 weeks. A little golden seal and a lot of water will help if your really worried. However, if you want to make sure your lungs have recovered from any damage during the off season and smoking 2 months isn't a bad idea for recovery.