Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wishing

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,963 Community Veteran
Wat if u could walk away from urself. Forget who ur rapists were n forget about the burns they put upon u wen they stripped u n left u for dead. Wish I could. 
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• Options
    knownaslonerknownasloner Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    It would always be better to forget about the trauma you’ve endured. But try to remember that what you go through doesn’t define you and it doesn’t make you a bad person.

You didn’t deserve to be treated in such a vile way but you’ll get through the pain you’re going through. It might never completely disappear and there will be setbacks in your recovery but you’ll find ways to cope and it’ll get easier. Remember there’s no time frame for these things.
  • Options
    JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Past pain, physical scarring and mental scarring are all such complex human experiences. 

The actual physical sensation of pain itself is so difficult to remember when in the present, and yet our body remembers the pain very well with the scars that are left.

And those scars then remind our minds of that scarring which in turn evokes the emotions and suffering that we once felt. But still, can the mental suffering that is evoked by remembering traumatic events ever recreate the physical pain we initially endured?

I guess I don't really know what else to suggest about this topic. The way we humans can mentally time-travel is incredibly powerful, and maybe my point is that if we are not experiencing physical pain in the present moment then perhaps we are empowered to try to control and reduce the amount we mentally suffer? 

It's obviously a very slow process, but attempting to control our behaviour/thoughts gives us the potential to have more autonomy over our emotions, which in turn could lead to less suffering... Would be interested to hear your thoughts @ellie2000
  • Options
    Could you narrow it down abit plz, lyk b'points simple language, without using big words
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    I can't control my thoughts wen I see a photo or go somewhere thts triggering I think and it goes out of control
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Hey @ellie2000 I've I've broken down what @JamJar said so that it's a bit easier to understand. If you'd like me to explain some more, give a shout 

When it comes to painful experiences it's very complicated in terms of recovery. Especially when it comes to mental pain and physical pain that  someone inflicted on you. 

Traumatic memories can make you relive the suffering that you experienced because it made you feel so distressed. So it can make it really hard to just forget about it. 

That being said, maybe your experiences could motivate you to not let the people that hurt you win. It's a very slow process with many obstacles but maybe it could give you more control to the point where it effects you less over time. 
  • Options
    JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @ellie2000, really sorry about my last post. I guess as much as I was commenting on your thread and should have properly replied to what you said I was also writing that for myself. 

What I was trying to say (to myself) was that physical and mental scars make it impossible for us to escape what past events have happened to us. But gradually with time we can somehow become stronger because of it. 

I should have thought more about how it would have been read by others and I'm sorry for how cryptic it was. 

Hope you can understand 🙏