Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

First time at the gym?

martinnick64martinnick64 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited March 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
I have one interesting question.
What was your first time/day at the gym like?

Mod edit: thread moved to Health & Wellbeing and title edited
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey @martinnick64 welcome!

honestly my first time at the gym was with school so it wasn't that great lol, but started going back when I left school and its so good!
    the first time was just an induction, so being shown how to use the machines safely and generally how everything works, I go to a quieter gym which I like better as theres not so many people :) would recommend it to anyone! it can be quite nerve wracking going for the first time but you'll soon get the hang of things, everyone is there for the same reason and they just focus on their own fitness rather than what other people are doing :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    It's a wierd experience. Exercise is usually an activity that allows you to lose yourself and be completely focused in the present. However putting yourself in an unknown environment, surrounded by potentially intimidating (but ultimately harmless) people suddenly makes us feel quite self conscious. 

I guess it's great that you are looking to exercise, and that even if you do feel slightly afraid about going to the gym then you should probably give it a go because it will feel that much more satisfying when you do feel at home there - when you conquer the gym. 

Plus, gyms won't be open much longer so you best go as soon as possible to get as much exercise in now as you can! 

And then it will be on to exercising outside ;) 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    The first time at the gym was a little weird, and that was as a member of a training class with people I knew very well. 

The first time I went with people I didn’t know was even more weird - I did wonder what they thought of me and whether they were being judgy, but I wonder that about everyone and I guess it’s pretty normal in a new environment anyways.

But after I got used to going (I now go every week) it is really fun (especially with the training group I went with the first time) and I always get a good workout in. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    It's something new, so of course most people feel a little unsure and nervous. Having a routine prepared beforehand helps a lot, because then you know where to go and what to do. But I'd always start with a quick tour of all the machines and equipment so you know what you're working with, and then start some exercises to judge your strength and get a starting point for weights/cardio etc.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Was kinda normal. I think I got a routine made for me first and the trainer showed how the machines worked. I was thinking about going again but they're shut down now
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi! 

I remember feeling nervous to go to the gym for the first time, but my friend who loves the gym reminded me that the gym is a place where people go to focus on themselves. They will be so engrossed in working on themselves that nobody will be paying any attention to me - and that took a big pressure off me! 

My first time at the gym went well. I went to the reception as soon as I got there to ask about locker spaces etc and then asked if they could show me around the gym. If you have any questions about how the machines work etc, they're more than happy to help. To start with I just worked on some basic cardio, but then over time built up my confidence to try new things. 

It might also be helpful to find a guide online with some gym workouts. GracefitUK has some good ones on YouTube! That way you know what you are there to do, it makes it feel a little less daunting :smile:
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hi @martinnick64

I must admit I've never enjoyed the gym - the first time you go they usually give you an induction, showing how to use equipment and then the time after I found that I was left to my own devices and didn't really know where to start and I felt a bit uncomfortable asking someone to show me how something worked. 

I've found that its better for me to go to classes rather than just the gym - I like having an instructor telling me what to do and giving me a routine. I know gyms are all shut now but there's lots of virtual classes now - thebodycoach Joe Wicks is supposed to have some really good ones.
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @martinnick64

I think I went with my mom and we had an introduction in how to use the equipment first. It was a little weird but in a good way because a lot of the machines I didn't know existed so it was fun trying them out. So I basically spent like 2 minutes per machine  =)

Something which I realised later on is if you have the option of variety, it's important to like the gym you're in as your workouts can be feel better when it's been a good workout plus you like your gym and feel comfortable in it