Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Intrusive thoughts

HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
I keep having more frequent and violent intrusive thoughts. How can I manage them and what help can I get with them? I understand they don't define me but they make me snap and react from anger quicker and I don't want to end up hurting someone. 
Tagged:

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    edited March 2020
    hey @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt sorry your struggling with intrusive thoughts, I know the struggle and honestly im still learning how to manage them, some things I have found helpful though are distractions, mainly having a 'depression nap' if im home, talking to someone, and knowing that they will pass, its just a matter of riding them out, im sorry if this isn't much help, I done some work on them in group so ill dig out my folder and have a look for you :)

have you spoken to your gp about them? they may be able to refer you to some talking therapy which I found helpful, just telling someone who wont tell anyone else :) of course were here aswell but are limited to what help we can give, professionals have more help!
    just remember you are never alone <3

Edit: this is what I was looking for and has got me out of many situations related to thoughts, remember HALT.
    H - hungry?
    A - angry?
    L - Lonely?
    T - tired?
    so often our thoughts feed of our emotions/physical feelings, so remember these things when the thoughts creep in, once you know what emotions their feeding of they are easier to battle :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey!  That is diffuclt! Has anything helped in the past with these thoughts?  I know when i feel angry i try to think about why i feel angry and that self awareness of knowing your feeling this way is really good as may not feel like it but does help. It can be good to get al your thoughts down as keeping them to your self may be what makes you feel this way. Or maybe doing a hobby to calm you down. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    The only thing that helped me with it so far is talking to myself. I say things like 'okay stay calm, you're doing great, we're gonna go to the bathroom now so we can be alone for a moment'. Or I talk to myself about things I am going to do later, and being very discriptive and using simple language.

Also what helps usually is to have an outlet, somewhere you could vent. Do you have something like that?
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    HI @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt

I can hear you'd like some support for frequent and violent intrusive thoughts and I'm really pleased you reached out about this. You should never have to go through those alone :heart:

I'd like to echo what the others have said, as I think they've shared some great advice. I am also just wondering whether you have spoken to anybody about these before, such as a trusted adult or GP? You really deserve to have some support in place :heart:

Take good care :smile:
    Hey @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt just wanted to check in and see how you're doing? have you tried any of the suggestions yet? Let us know how you get on with them :)<3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Hi @BubblesGoesBoo I'm doing better atm thanks. I've tried having a naps when they are going on but I struggle to get to sleep and I've tried to think about why I'm feeling the way I am to distract myself and that helped whilst I was distracted but I'm on the up and I'm hoping it stays that way :) 
    Glad to hear you're doing better @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt :)