Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Coronavirus subforum?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Lots of you might be trying to get away from Coronavirus talk right now, and we're super aware that being around more of those conversations here might make it feel like it's harder to escape. Equally, we want information around coronavirus to be visible enough for people to find it when they need it.

Would having a (probably temporary) subforum for Coronavirus conversations be a good idea to help everyone look after themselves and avoid those conversations if they want to? Or would it make more sense to keep them in the main Health & Wellbeing forum?

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Coronavirus subforum? 15 votes

Yes, that would be helpful
80% 12 votes
Nah, keep them in Health & Wellbeing
6% 1 vote
I don't mind really
13% 2 votes
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    They are threads I am kinda trying to avoid at the moment. I know I posted on some but it's just filling me with anxiety and every time I go on health and wellbeing it's just there in your face at the top
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited March 2020
    I put no because i think a thread should be better in stead. 

I would rather aviod reading it on here as already hear it everywhere else so rather it in one place. Instead of all over ranty thread and hugs thread 
    but seeing a whole subforum for it will stress me out even more, as feel making its even more bigger thing. Not that im trying to miimise it - anythinn that kills people is serious but many things are killing people in this world that dont get the same media like the flu and stuff like washing your hands should be being done already
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I think yes .. like have somewhere where you can find the info instead of stumbling cross it when you're trying to avoid it :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    edited March 2020
    Ah shit im out voted. 
    But why not just a thread? I know you have a thread on it. But thats more info. I mean just a support thread in health and wellbeing. Youre still gunna have to read the fact that their is a subforum just like the fact there being a thread - isnt much difference if dont click on it then its all in one place. I really dont want to see it have its own sub forum ah. There are many many contagious illness that we havent even heard of that are killing people Like just from googling. tuberculosis is speaded by bacteria and has about 1.5 million die a year. So im really confused about why we need to a subforum for it. Im confused by the whole world atm. If we all stayed this hygenic in the first place people would be dying less from other illnesses. Im soconfusedbut yeah aint no doctor lol
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I agree Aidan. It should have a subforum for people to turn to.
    A subforum would be easier to avoid, compared to having 3 threads pinned on health and wellbeing, much rather they weren't there. 
    edited March 2020
    Ah right. I was thinking of other places youd more likely turn to to find that sort of info like if i hear someone else to tell me to sing happy birthday while washing my hands one more time, im gunna lose my head. and i was thinking here is for the emotional support of it. But yeah its fine either wya. Just fed up of it hearing about it. 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I think its important for people worried to have someone they can go to to get support.
    But also for people who wish to avoid to have a safe space.

As a medical hypochondriac i think its very important to have somewhere you can go for a break away from the headlines to and to reduce anxiety.

But some people need reassurance in sad times to deal with the panic so i think a sub forum would be really handy. 

As people can get support and others can ignore it easier.

I'm a big one for clicking big pinned posts so i'd be more inclined to unhealthly read about it :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to tell us what you need around covid. As you might imagine, this is new territory for all of us so we're taking everything as we go. If needs change, we can change how we're navigating this on the Community.

In general though, it looks like a dedicated subforum is a popular idea. You can access the information about covid all in one place, arguably making it easier to find and easier to avoid. As has been pointed out in this conversation, it also means a variety of information can be posted in that forum rather than needing to put these threads in their relevant areas.

We are also aware that having a visible subforum could have the opposite impact we intend for some people (i.e. that it feels more present in your life). We're mindful that subforum titles are fairly small in size so hopefully it won't feel too intrusive but, if it does, we can look into remedies for that.

For now, if you haven't voted on this poll yet please make sure you do. We want to make sure we've got a fair representation of what you guys need in this space (or as close to that as possible). Even if we still end up creating the subforum, it's useful for us to be aware of the split of preferences.

Watch this space for new developments. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Changed my mind. You May aswell with how much is changing everything now
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Yeah I think it’s a really good idea, means people like me who are worried can post about it in a dedicated place and those who want to avoid it can too.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Yes please - I am trying to limit hearing and reading about it as much as possible because it is sending my anxiety through the roof 
    The sun will rise and we will try again