Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should The Mix accept sponsorship from a vaping company?

Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
edited March 2020 in We Need You
We've been approached by a vaping company who are interested in sponsoring an event we will be running later in the year, and our fundraising team want to know what you think around whether this would be a good idea for us to accept? The company in question aim to help people stop smoking by using vapes, however there is an ethical question as to whether we should be associating with companies that sell potentially addictive products. We want to get an understanding of what you think about this, so vote in the poll and let us know your thoughts below :+1:

FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Should The Mix accept sponsorship from a vaping company? 14 votes

Yes
14% 2 votes
No
71% 10 votes
Not sure
14% 2 votes

Comments

• Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Meant to say, would be good to get your views by Friday lunch time, so do keep voting above, and also adding any thoughts/comments you have below. All views welcome :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    honestly I was in hospital with someone who had vaped and it burnt a hole in their lung … so obviously im against vaping...

is it okay to ask how hard it is to come by someone who sponsers an event? if theres another company interested I would say go for them, but that's just my opinion...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Just no.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited March 2020
    Sorry to be so stupid but what do you mean by sponsoring your event?  Do you mean theyre going to your event and sponsoring from there or sponsoring the event?  Do you mean like there will be a banner of the company at the event? Sorry idk why it hard for me to get my head around. I know what spnsoring means lol but yeah im still confused in how you mean. Sorry (my answer would depend in what way you mean ah)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Ohh if theyre sticking their ads at your event then no. 
    The other way i read it was that they was sponsoring your event happening in some form of like telling people its happening (which dk how anyway lol.. Like sponsoring the event happening. Wiuld of probably worded it diferent if meant that) but i would of said yeah to that cause people who are addicted to vaping may then use the mix for the support for their vaping.
    & Now i just look really stupid lol
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Vaping isn't better though, it's causing just as many, if not more health issues than smoking.

I personally think smoking and vaping is a nasty habit and would no way allow either to sponsor something because it just promotes it
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey all,

Thanks so much for your views, it's really helpful :) To clarify a few points, by sponsorship, we mean that they would make a financial contribution towards the event, which would likely mean they would get advertising at the event. Don't think you look stupid @Shaunie, I didn't word things particularly clearly :3 

@BubblesGoesBoo - that sounds like a painful consequence of vaping, it's an interesting question around sponsorship. I think it probably depends on the event, if it's a really big one, then it's quite easy as brands want to be involved with things that have a big reach. We wanted to get the views of young people on this because it is important for us to make sure we are responsible in what brands we associate with, and if we accept money from companies that don't fit well with our mission, then it undermines what we do. As @GreenTea says, by accepting sponsorship, it can give a seal of approval from an organisation, and so it's something that we want to be careful about. 

In terms of the company, I am not 100% sure @Aidan - all I know is it is a vaping company, so would assume not e-cigs, though full disclosure, I had no idea there was a difference :lol:

The challenge for our organisation is that we aim to empower young people to make the best decisions for themselves, which means that we look to get good quality information to people to help them make informed choices. With that, it means that we tend to be fairly neutral on things like this. From all your feedback, it seems like it's quite clear that there is a difference between giving good quality information on an issue versus actively promoting something, so I will make sure this gets fedback to our fundraising team. 

Thanks all for your views, super helpful :3