Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

EMDR therapy.

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Hello all,

So progress is being made in terms of support from professionals, however EMDR therapy has been suggested and will be seeing if it's suitable for me, so I have a few questions if that's ok?

Have you had EMDR therapy?
Was it helpful for you?
Was there anything that wasn't helpful?
How do you cope after?

I want to make sure from my point of view as well as professionals point of view of my truama, I want to see if it might be what's right for me.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Hi, it's nice to hear you're getting help!

I've had EMDR a few years ago, but I think I wasn't ready yet. I couldn't concentrate on the therapist so my mind was going other places instead of the trauma. I don't think we had many sessions of it.

Your therapist will help you calm down and bring you back to a more stable emotion before the session ends. But it's advised that you take your time after the session, so don't have anything planned or go to school. For some it could be helpful to meet up with friends for example.

It could take some time to be comfortable and get used to. I'm getting therapy again this year and I think it will be heavily focused on EMDR.
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hi, it's nice to hear you're getting help!

I've had EMDR a few years ago, but I think I wasn't ready yet. I couldn't concentrate on the therapist so my mind was going other places instead of the trauma. I don't think we had many sessions of it.

Your therapist will help you calm down and bring you back to a more stable emotion before the session ends. But it's advised that you take your time after the session, so don't have anything planned or go to school. For some it could be helpful to meet up with friends for example.

It could take some time to be comfortable and get used to. I'm getting therapy again this year and I think it will be heavily focused on EMDR.

Thank you for your input, that's what I'm worried about, that I'm not ready for such an intense therapy!
    You probably can adjust it to what you need. Just talk about it with your therapist. My first time was also quite mild to just try it out, see if it works for me.

If it's too intense, just say it. Is this therapy only EMDR or also just general talking sessions?
    You probably can adjust it to what you need. Just talk about it with your therapist. My first time was also quite mild to just try it out, see if it works for me.

If it's too intense, just say it. Is this therapy only EMDR or also just general talking sessions?

I don't know yet because I'm trying to get an assessment for a mental health dignosis which could change everything, before trying EMDR
    Oh okay. How's that going? Any idea when the assessment will be?
    Oh okay. How's that going? Any idea when the assessment will be?

I got no idea at the moment lol I just.. looking up mind website symptoms and behaviours and how multiple people have asked me if I'm ****** (sorry it's all very hush hush because I feel like I'm just being stupid) I feel like it's literally the perfect picture of me.
    Has anyone else had experience?
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @GreenTea

I haven't had EMDR therapy myself, but I am currently learning about it at university. They showed us a few YouTube clips of people speaking about their experiences, so I'm wondering if that may be a good place to look to see if you can get any further experiences shared? Also, hopefully by me replying to this thread I will have boosted it up to get a few more responses :smile:

Ultimately, it's important to go with whatever you feel comfortable with. If you try it out and realise its not quite for you then it's absolutely okay to say so...you deserve to be supported in whichever way you feel most comfortable with and that helps you the most :heart:
    Thank you, I will look at youtube for further experiences shared. It's something I want to get through truama because I have never properly been able to work through things which is really really hard and sometimes out of no where I get triggered, or something really affects me.
    I've felt and been made to feel by people around me that I didn't deserve support and I got told to "self harm properly" and that I'm not depressed enough, almost as if it's a fashion sense and it's really made me shut down when it comes to support, even though I try to reach out for counselling etc and have for months, part of me has always been "you don't deserve this" due to growing up with toxic friendships where comments were made. 

I want the help. I want the support. I do, but I fear judgement, I fear horrible comments, but I also fear the try harder comment's