Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Character reference

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Hello all

I've been asked to write a character reference for a friend whom is starting a new job. I've never had to write anything like this. 
Does anyone have experience or any tips that can help me?

I have no clue what I am supposed to write

Comments

• chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hey @GreenTea :3

You must be so happy for your friend starting their new job! I know that writing a character reference seems daunting but once you get into a groove, I bet it will be really straightforward. 

I've written a few for friends in the past and, usually, I like to stick to a formula. First, start by introducing yourself and your relationship to the person you're writing about. Give a little background on yourself, how long you've known your friend, where you met etc. 

Second, for your analysis of their character you could mention ways they have helped you personally, any volunteering they've done, significant life goals they've met, causes they're committed to etc. I find it's always a good idea to include one or two detailed examples to really flesh out the positive qualities employers will be looking for in your friend. These qualities could include things like communication skills, a positive attitude, punctuality, and commitment to equality.

That's the bulk of it really! After that, all you have to do is tie it altogether. Reiterate that you think these qualities show your friend is the right fit for the organisation and thank whoever is reading for taking the time to read your reference. 

I hope this has given you some inspiration! Good luck <3
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hiya! There are plenty of examples online that can help for a template. Like @chubbydumpling says, show how they've helped you, and what kind of positive qualities they've demonstrated in doing so :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I feel like I'm just gonna sound too cheesy
    I was sent a form to fill out for this. Made it easier having to answer some questions
    Hey @GreenTea

Filling out a form sounds much easier! How are you finding the questions? 
    Did it easy. Asked about her character and qualities, then asked if shes honest and responsibe then a question to ask if I feel that they are suitable for the job role and then the last question was would I recommend them for the job
    That's great @GreenTea! Fingers crossed for your friend :3
    She already had the job lol they just needed a paper trail I think