Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you think of our content ideas for a new self harm awareness campaign?

HollyPearlHollyPearl Moderator, Staff Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
edited January 2020 in We Need You
Hi everyone :) 

The Mix's content team are working on some ideas to raise awareness about self harm and break the stigma around talking about it. We want to talk about safe alternatives to self harm and provide support to those who are self harming and those who are on a journey towards recovery.

We'd really love your feedback on our ideas for article and video content so please choose your favourite and feel free to add comments and suggestions!

What do you think of our content ideas for a new self harm awareness campaign? 11 votes

What is self harm and why do people do it?
0%
How can I talk to my friend about their self harming?
36%
SienaPoppyBDiamondPast User 4 votes
What are the signs of self harm?
0%
Interview with a self-harm expert
0%
What are some safe alternatives to self harm? (this is likely to be a video)
9%
Elizabeth 1 vote
How I recovered from self harm (a real life story)
45%
Past UserAzzimanGreenTeaJade09Swagger3104 5 votes
What is the road to recovery from self harm?
9%
Dancer 1 vote

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited January 2020
    How can I talk to my friend about their self harming?

Heyy

HollyPearl said:

We want to talk about safe alternatives to self harm and provide support to those who are self harming and those who are on a journey towards recovery. 

I hope you dont make the article out that you Have to stop self harming to be on road to recovery. Or have to use "safe" alternatives because self harm can actually be safe. Or makeOut  that everyone should recover from self harm

Its just most articles i see on self harm make self harm seem like youre not managing andhow unwell they are and need an alterative. When self harm is literally can be a way someone controls their emotions and dont always need to recover from it. 
     And i just think if someone doesnt want to stop self harming or is not unsafe with it then dont need alternatives and assume need to stop. Only suggest it if they cant self harm safely or want to stop. Which is what i got taught in my peer support training so probs why think it. And  is why i dont really like the last two depending on how theyre worded.  and maybe the one above that too ("safe" alternatives) just cause of the word "safe" (self harm can be safe) and depending on how you put that across for those who dont see a problem or a reason to find an alternative. And finding the signs of self harm seem like its because its a problem so need to stop when not always but i guess that ones okay cause its like signs of someone strugling and need help for how they feel. Sometimes when found out someone self harms people are striaght on them for trying to stop it when i dont think should be always the case more about how feel

But yeah thats just my opinion

i like "Interview with a self-harm expert" and "How can I talk to my friend about their self harming?"
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    This one would be nice, probably encouraging for those struggling too and that it does get better
    After watching that show on channel 4 about mental health emergency crisis. I do think a real story would be informative and beneficial to many others as it's believed self harm cases have doubled over the years in under 18s and I think people should get to see others stories and how they recovered etc 
  • HollyPearlHollyPearl Moderator, Staff Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    edited February 2020
    Shaunie said:
    HollyPearl said:
    We want to talk about safe alternatives to self harm and provide support to those who are self harming and those who are on a journey towards recovery.
    I hope you dont make the article out that you Have to stop self harming to be on road to recovery. Or have to use "safe" alternatives because self harm can actually be safe. Or makeOut  that everyone should recover from self harm

Its just most articles i see on self harm make self harm seem like youre not managing andhow unwell they are and need an alterative. When self harm is literally can be a way someone controls their emotions and dont always need to recover from it. 
     And i just think if someone doesnt want to stop self harming or is not unsafe with it then dont need alternatives and assume need to stop. Only suggest it if they cant self harm safely or want to stop. Which is what i got taught in my peer support training so probs why think it. And  is why i dont really like the last two depending on how theyre worded.  and maybe the one above that too ("safe" alternatives) just cause of the word "safe" (self harm can be safe) and depending on how you put that across for those who dont see a problem or a reason to find an alternative. And finding the signs of self harm seem like its because its a problem so need to stop when not always but i guess that ones okay cause its like signs of someone strugling and need help for how they feel. Sometimes when found out someone self harms people are striaght on them for trying to stop it when i dont think should be always the case more about how feel

But yeah thats just my opinion

i like "Interview with a self-harm expert" and "How can I talk to my friend about their self harming?"
    Thanks so much for your detailed feedback, @Shaunie, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on the content ideas. I understand that you see self-harm as a legitimate coping mechanism which can be safe, but I just wanted to clarify that when we talk about recovery, we mean recovery from the methods of self harm that are actually harming you in some way. In our approach to the campaign, we completely accept that self harm happens and understand that people use it as a way to cope with things they might find difficult. Through this campaign, we want to educate people about the safe alternatives that can be part of a process of recovery. 

We also want to make it clear that recovery can mean many things and that someone can be self harming and still on the path to recovery; perhaps they may be doing it less, or using less harmful methods. Our main aim is to provide a supportive space for people to talk about self harm and learn how to stay safe, or to support others who may be going through it. How does that sound?

GreenTea said:
    This one would be nice, probably encouraging for those struggling too and that it does get better
    Thanks for your feedback @GreenTea :) We'll try and include this piece.

Aidan said:
    I like the real life story, I agree it would be encouraging and also informative to see real-life success stories.

Self harm affects a lot of young people and it's important the information is there so they can get help.

TW some self-harm facts
    More than half of people who die by suicide have a history of self-harm.
    It's estimated around 10% of young people self-harm at some point, but people of all ages do.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/self-harm/

Self-harm is the single biggest cause of death of people aged 20-24 in the UK, research has found. [for 2013]
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/self-harm-biggest-cause-of-death-for-young-people-in-the-uk-study-finds-a7022456.html

With the right help and support most people who self-harm can and do fully recover.
    https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publications/truth-about-self-harm
    Thanks so much Aidan for your feedback and for passing on this useful information, it's really helpful. We'll definitely try to include some real life stories in our content :)

GreenTea said:
    After watching that show on channel 4 about mental health emergency crisis. I do think a real story would be informative and beneficial to many others as it's believed self harm cases have doubled over the years in under 18s and I think people should get to see others stories and how they recovered etc 
    This is a really good point, it's so powerful to show people's stories and something we really want to include in our content. Thank you!
    Post edited by TheMix on
    edited February 2020
    GreenTea said:
    This is a really good point, it's so powerful to show people's stories and something we really want to include in our content. Thank you!
    Yes!!! I follow a lot of Instagram and Twitter accounts that tell their stories and it helps me realise that I'm not alone and that things can be ok, just not today. I honestly do think there's something powerful about the stories of others!
    Post edited by JustV on