Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are naps ok?

I think I'm getting myself into a bit of a spiral so I'm hoping posting will help. I've been super tired lately, on Thursday I went to bed at half 6 and slept till morning, and today I've had a na during the day. I have been having counselling and I know that can be draining so I'm thinking my body is just processing. But is it ok to give into the sleep or the naps? Or should I try and keep going? Its hard to know whether I am actually tired from life or whether its the depression and my good ol friend anxiety haha.
Any advice welcome :)
Jess

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Personally I think naps are okay, I know every professional tells me not to do it, but the amount 9f times I've felt rubbish, had a nap and felt better is unreal. Listen to your body, if you need a nap, take one! The only time I would disagree with taking a nap is if it affects your sleep at night 😊

It sounds like counselling is draining you which is normal, it is tiring but so worth it. 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi! 

Whilst I can't give any professional advice about whether you should/shouldn't nap (perhaps worth asking your counsellor :smile:) I always think it's important to listen to your body. Counselling can be emotionally draining and if you need a bit of a break to recharge that's okay. Take care of yourself :heart:
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @jessieyeha,

As said above, listen to your body, it is such an important thing to do. There's a mixed set of research about wether they are good or not.

Here's a little article from the sleep foundation which talks about the advantages and disadvantages of napping.
    https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/napping 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Lots of people take naps - Spain are famous for it! Just make sure that you don't nap too long, otherwise you might find it hard to sleep properly at night :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Naps are okay. I always nap and i sleep a lot. I hear you. Its hard to tell the cause. It might be worth seeking help from your gp if you feel it's a problem. Take care x
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    I take a nap wen my head gets to much with flashbacks and voices until it passes. I wish it was dark 4eva
    Crazy mad insane
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I would agree that naps are ok, I’m always tired too and pretty much always have a nap during the day lol (especially when I’m not in the best place emotionally too). Listening to your body is important. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • sarahlousie2sarahlousie2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    I think I'm getting myself into a bit of a spiral so I'm hoping posting will help. I've been super tired lately, on Thursday I went to bed at half 6 and slept till morning, and today I've had a na during the day. I have been having counselling and I know that can be draining so I'm thinking my body is just processing. But is it ok to give into the sleep or the naps? Or should I try and keep going? Its hard to know whether I am actually tired from life or whether its the depression and my good ol friend anxiety haha.
    Any advice welcome :)
    Jess
    are you on any medication or have you changed jobs? you eating properly?  having a nap during the day not a bad thing I need to have at least 20 mins a day