Home Articles
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Caught shoplifting - TheMix.org.uk

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2020 in Articles

imageCaught shoplifting - TheMix.org.uk

There’s no specific offence of shoplifting in England and Wales – offenders are usually charged with theft. Since no further action was mentioned in your case it seems probable that none will be taken. Even if the shop wanted to go to the police it would be difficult to contact you because you gave false...

Read the full story here

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• luuluuluuluu Posts: 1 Just got here
    I was caught shoplifting in 2012. The people at the shop took down all my details and took a photo of me. They told me I was banned from their stores but I was allowed to leave once I paid for what I took. Will they contact the police? I left the Uk since i was on holiday and my visa was about to be due. my uncle i satyed with took the letter i was served and ask to pay an amount but i was out of the uk. can this affect my entry into the uk next time i go for visa?
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Welcome to the community @luuluu. :)

I'm not a legal expert and I don't know this for sure, but from what you said it sounds like they took your details down for internal reasons rather than legal. For example, they may have a database of people they've caught shoplifting before that their staff need to look out for.

If you had any sort of criminal record from this, I believe the police would have to tell you (even if you were to get a caution or a warning). If you haven't heard anything since, it's probably safe to assume there are were no legal consequences. Again, though, I'm no expert.

The thing that makes me unsure is this:

my uncle i satyed with took the letter i was served and ask to pay an amount but i was out of the uk.

Who did this letter come from? And what did it say?

If you want to get a definitive, qualified answer to this, you could contact Citizens Advice. They can provide free legal advice: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.