Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going to see a doctor???

Ria200330Ria200330 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot

So ummm I wanna go see a doctor about my anxiety(I'm 16 btw), I've done this before but I've had to go with my mother before and she's the type to believe that it's all in your head and you just need to be confident so I don't want to go with her anymore. Thing is I don't even know how to do this alone. This sounds stupid but calling someone on the phone is one of my biggest anxieties, never mind a receptionist whose gonna ask questions and is gonna expect me to be able to come in at some point in a random week at a random time when I'll probably be in lessons, and if I even manage to get to that appointment I'm going to have to be in a waiting room all alone, I'm going to have to find the doctor's room, go in, sit down and actually speak to them.

Just imagining that nearly sent me into a panic attack. I can't do this but I can't live like this either. My anxiety is horrible, I can't breathe sometimes and sometimes my tummy hurts from the amount of stressing I do and at this point all I want to do is sleep. I'm so so exhausted.

Comments

• Options
    gorilazgorilaz Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hey,
    I get what you are saying about talking on the phone and to the receptionist, it can feel so intimidating sometimes. Maybe you could explain to your mother how you are feeling and that you would like to see the doctor privately, but she could help you get the appointment and sit in the waiting room with you if it would make you more comfortable  ?  

Personally, I get scared to ask my mum things especially when they are personal because I worry she will laugh or not understand, but usually it turns out okay and I am glad that I did so in the end.

I hope I have been atleast a bit helpful
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    That must feel like a really paralysing situation. I'm so sorry you're struggling with such anxiety, it does sound horrible for you :(

It's understandable you don't feel able to do it alone, and doesn't sound stupid at all that phoning someone is one of your biggest anxieties. I don't suppose there's anyone else that you could ask, or that you think going with your mom could be better than nothing? I wish I could be there to help you through it <3
  • Options
    JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    It sounds like you are really anxious about phoning and going to the doctors and that you are nervous about asking your mum to help you book the appointment because of how she views anxiety.

You may find it helpful to "rehearse" it all before you do it. For example, think about what you might need to tell the receptionist, and so on. If you feel uncomfortable asking your mum to come with you do you have anyone else you could ask? For example a friend. 

Let us know how you get on :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

I know how scary it is, and it can be more than enough to psych you out of going. But it's so important to go and get it done, and the GP will be happy to chat about different ways they can help you. I know it feels like quite a leap, but it's a leap worth taking for the support and the chance of recovery for sure x Be brave, you've got this!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.