Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Don't know if I enjoy my job anymore

slg123slg123 Posts: 4 Newbie
I am currently on sick leave and have been since the end of August and I am not due back till the end of this month.

I find my job very mentally and physically draining as I am a support worker for the elderly and before that I was a health care assistant for nearly 3 years.

I am considering changing careers completely as I work very long hours and have to do a sleep-in once a week so I don't get to see much of my family and I miss my dog when I'm at work.

I feel like I want to do something with animals as I love spending time with them but I have no experience with working with animals so I feel like I will struggle to get a job with them.

Comments

• Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hi slg123,

I can see your worry about changing careers, I understand that it must be difficult to be in such a demanding career and feeling isolated from your family and dog while long working hours. 

Have you considered looking at some volunteer work with animals to get some experience in the field? This may also help you decide if it is a career you'd like to pursue.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    If you don't enjoy your job anymore, change it.

It's the thing that you do almost every day, so it's important to at least not hate it.

Working with animals sounds good, but it's something quite a lot of people want to do, and unless you're a vet, it can be hard to find a job that pays very well.
    Weekender Offender 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

Sorry to hear that you're enjoying your job any more. Support work is really challenging, so I'm not surprised that you're not too keen on it now - you've done amazing to work there as long as you have! There are so many other opportunities out there if you're not happy, but I'd only leave once you've got a place confirmed at another place - otherwise, you're left without a salary for a while!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hi @slg123

Just wanted to check in and see how the work situation is going? I know it's difficult to find a job in the career you'd like, especially when you don't enjoy your current work.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @slg123

Totally agree with everything said above :smile: I just wanted to pop on and reassure you that it really is never too late to make a change. I understand you feel worried that you don't have experience working with animals, but the people who work with them now also started with no experience - if there's a will there's a way :smile:

I really like @Gemma 's idea about volunteering with animals. That's a great way to get experience and can sometimes lead to paid roles as well. There's a website called Do-It which is made for finding volunteer opportunities. You just search for what you are interested in, and the areas you are able to work in, and it will show you the opportunities available :smile:

Really hope this helps! Good luck and take care x

• Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hi @slg123

I think the advice here is great - I just wanted to add a couple of The Mix articles which you might find useful with this
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/your-career-path/how-do-i-find-a-new-career-2287.html
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/leaving-a-job/work-and-study/your-career-path/changing-career-2421.html

Just remember your health and wellbeing is the most important thing - if your job is negatively affecting you it's time for a change I think. <3
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    edited January 2020
    If you want to change into working with animals. It can be hard to find if you have no places nearby and also a lot of places require you to have some experience so it would be a good idea to volunteer to gain some experience before applying. I’ve always wanted a job with animals but unfortuantly there’s not many places around near me and I don’t drive however I volunteer 2 days a week in an animal park and have been for over a year and 1 day in a doggy daycare, 

ive tried pet stores like pets corner and pets at home but unfortuantly got turned down or was unsuccessful.

As the others said volunteering is always a good way to see if it’s something you like. 

Also bare in mind some animal jobs still require you to work with customers.