Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exam nerves

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So, I'm in my final year and my degree is quite challenging which is both good and scary lol

The exams nerves have set in a bit. I trally want to do well and I work hard but I still belive that there's room for improvement. 

I was wondering what the best way is to manage nerves whilst studying efficiently? 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Salix_alba_2019

I think different things work for different people so hopefully you get a few replies with ideas :smile:

Two things have worked for me in the past
    - Listen to something that puts your mind at ease while studying, for me it was 'Rainforest sounds' on youtube haha. Almost put me in a meditative state so I could concentrate. 
    - Reward yourself with regular breaks - and when you are on a break, distract yourself completely. Watch an episode of your fave series, watch some youtube, go out for a walk or some exercise. For me, I was really disciplined in taking every weekend off to have some 'me' / 'us' time instead of studying - this meant I was more productive when I was. 

Hope this might be helpful and good luck with it <3

- Lucy

Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

Exams are a stressful time for everyone, so not surprised haha :) Where do you think you can improve, and how can you do it? I'd make sure that your notes are good and complete; that you meet with lecturers to clarify anything you're not sure about, or to talk through essay drafts etc; that you study in a way that you find best (visual/audio etc, with or w/o friends?, home/library etc?); and that you give yourself some time to recharge (meeting with friends/family, exercise etc). Look after yourself and your health, so you're always using study time as efficiently as possible! Always around if you ever want any more help when studying x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @Salix_alba_2019

I hope you are managing with the exam stress.

My top tips are sleep, eat, breath. When you get a goodnights sleep and are eating well it takes pressure off your body which can reduce the effects of stress. And breathing can help calm you down. 

Most importantly, even though exams are important, remember that a grade doesn't define you.

Hope your exams go well, good luck!
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    edited January 2020
    Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your adivice! 
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Hey @Salix_alba_2019

just wanted to pop on, I echo what has already said, just wanted to say good luck with your exams :heart: 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hiya @Salix_alba_2019

Hope your revision is going well <3

Here are some articles we've written on The Mix that might help:
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/exams-and-the-pressure-to-do-well-23966.html
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/revision-tips-1238.html
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/how-do-i-relieve-stress-2282.html

For me if I'm trying to do revision and I get stressed or nervous I find that it's good for me to take a break and go for a short walk or do a 10 min yoga stretch or even just go and have a cuppa away from my desk. And then calm myself down and come back a bit brighter.

Good luck with your exams