Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

camhs

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
i recently made a camhs referral because i’ve reached the point where i need more help than i’ve been getting. i know that it will probably be a while before i actually see someone, but has anyone on here had experience with camhs? i’ve seen a lot of mixed opinions online and i’d appreciate some real genuine information about what it’s like, if people are okay to share that. i know that everyone’s story and experience will be different but i’d just like to know as much as possible before seeing them. particularly if there’s anyone who’s had experience of hampshire camhs, that’s my nearest one so it’d be good to know what they’re like. also when you turn 18 and you’re too old for camhs, what happens and where do you get moved to if you still need support, and what is that like? thank you to anyone who shares their experience 

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Heyyy!

i had a good experience with CAMHS. Saw them in the first week i was referred and they was very kind and supportive. But would tell my family EVERYTHING.  Nothing felt confidenalital and was always speaking to my family or the NSPCC thats only bad thing id say from them. I only saw a care co ordinator for about a year cause was too late to start counselling cause was getting too old for servicd but adults took ages so stay with them for longer than meant and had to leave at 17 with them. I know most places is like 18 though. 

Ive heard some really shit things from the same one i went too though and people getting refered but not being accepted. Have you been accepted yet? Cause sadly they decline a lot with underfunded stuff. 

I was then with adult services for awhile and was a lot different to CAMHS. They cared less and i don’t know just felt different maybe cause younger and id say make most out of camhs if you get accepted for it

Wishing you alll the best!!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Camhs here were brilliant! Really felt they listened and tried their best to help, unfortunately when I started missing appointments they didn't really follow up with why, so I slipped through the system (stopped going cause I couldn't get out of bed, I was majorly depressed and so wrapped up in my disorders)

I wasn't referred to adults, I was just kinda dumped in? I ended up in hospital and the first time I met the psychiatrist he sectioned me, adults is nothing like Camhs, cause you're an adult they often just expect you to take responsibility for your actions, there's not really much help there, so get the most out of Camhs!

Also adults don't accept everyone from Camhs, there's a lot of people who are dropped when they move unfortunately 🙄
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''