Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

trigger warning - mood swings

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
i’ve been having these mood swings where the tiniest thing or seemingly nothing makes me switch super abruptly from being okay to being extremely low, anxious or angry. sometimes i’m okay for about 5 minutes then bad for 5 minutes then okay then bad etc etc etc. it’s really exhausting and draining and causing me to have suicidal thoughts and feel unsafe because i don’t trust myself when i’m feeling so low and it’s so almost constantly. yesterday i was at my boyfriend’s house and was having the experience of being okay for a bit then not okay etc, but then i got into a low and just went so so so down so quickly and i was just on his kitchen floor sobbing and wanting it to stop and feeling like i wanted to die and he had no idea what to do and i could barely communicate. i feel so guilty because he makes me so happy and he’s the best thing in my life yet i’m still feeling so low for some reason, even when i’m with him. i just don’t know what to do. i’m seeing my counsellor at school in two days but i don’t know if she’ll be able to tell me anything much about it. it’s hard to manage being at school when my mood flips so quickly and the smallest things set me off and i still have to try and concentrate and do work. i’m just so exhausted and i’m not sleeping properly and having awful nightmares. i just want to stop hurting

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @itsquietuptown

It sounds like you are dealing with a difficult thing at the moment so well done for being so open and honest about it. You are doing well :heart:

It sounds like the mood swings are getting really quite overwhelming for you. It's good to hear you are seeing your counsellor in a couple of days, but I can see you are worried they might not be able to tell you much. In response to this, I think it's important to know that although mood swings are a personal experience, you really are not alone in experiencing them. This means there is good understanding of them, as well as good level of support, out there for you. Hopefully your counsellor will be able to support you with this, but if not there is always someone who will be able to help you. Perhaps you could let us know how it goes with your counsellor? 

I can really hear how exhausting this is for you, and that it's difficult for you to concentrate at school because of this. I'm wondering if you have been able to speak to a teacher or a trusted adult about this at all? With a good understanding of how you're feeling, they may be able to support you with your school work and give you a little bit of extra time if needed :heart:

In the meantime, I wanted to share a couple of links with you - I'll pop them in the spoiler below. Hopefully these can help you to understand more about what you are experiencing, as well as some of the support that's available for you. 

The Mix - 'Understanding Mood Swings' and 'How can I stop my mood swings and tiredness?'
    Childline - 'Mood Journal' (a good way to track your moods, may be useful to bring along to any counselling sessions or future support you receive) 

It would be good to hear how you get on throughout the week. Take good care :heart:
  • AdamAdam Deactivated Posts: 25 Boards Initiate
    edited November 2019

Hi @itsquietuptown,

Firstly I would like to say how brave of you it is to reach out to us. :)

Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time right now. Anxiety and depression is not uncommon and you are not alone.

You mentioned about seeing a counsellor at school, how are these meetings going?

Samaritans are a great support service that you can talk to about your feelings. They are open 24/7 and can contacted for free on ‘116 123’.

Also a great article linked to mood swings can be found here: https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/looking-after-yourself/understanding-mood-swings-6286.html

I hope you are feeling better, we are always here to listen <3

------

Adam

• BUSEERD98BUSEERD98 Posts: 7 Confirmed not a robot
    Hello @itsquietuptown

I would like to let you know how strong you are for becoming aware of your feelings and emotions and for reaching out for help. This is the first step in your well being - self awareness. 

It must be difficult what you are going through and I do understand because I have also suffered from anxiety and depression myself. It is very common and everyone can go through it. What is important is to reach out for help and you have already done so. Do not worry about your school counsellor not being able to help. I am confident they have enough knowledge and experience in regards to the matter because it is a very common situation. 

I hope you are feeling better and doing well. Please let me know how the counselling session has turned out for you! 

Looking forward to your response.

Take care  <3