Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How we live

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
edited November 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
Someone said that we choose to have flashbacks and feel negative. Wat r others thinking. It not easy to live in today wen u suffer from PTSD
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    I think people who say things like that never experienced it for themselves.

Personally I disagree with that statement especially when there's scientific research supporting that it's not made up/we chose to experience the symptoms. 

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Agree with Mags! we didn't choose to be like this, we didn't ask for the trauma that makes us suffer, and we sure as hell don't choose any of this <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • scottscott Deactivated Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey @ellie2000

It's a really interesting question and some great responses above.

The Mix has a really great article from Rowan who discusses her experience with PTSD and how it's affected her life. I'd definitely recommend giving it a read here for a personal perspective on the question!

Here is a really powerful bit from it that I love:
    No matter what happened to you, no matter what you saw, you are not to blame. Please be kind to yourself. There is no shame in seeking therapy, or medication. You are worth helping. Your life is important, no matter how unimportant the trauma has left you feeling.

Scott :)