Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Loss of a sibling

lozza180397lozza180397 Posts: 1 Just got here
edited November 2019 in Sex & Relationships
Hi there. I lost a sibling back in February this year as a result of a car accident that I also happened to be involved in. Last Sunday I was  involved in a mini car collision which has brought back flashbacks of the time I lost my sibling back in February. It has been a really difficult week for me emotionally.
How long does it take to deal with the loss of someone as close as a sister?

[moved from Change The World]
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

Sorry to hear what you're going through - it can take a long time to come to terms with the loss of a loved one, there's no fixed time. But at some point you realise that you have to keep going, if not for yourself, then for the sake of your sibling - they wouldn't want to see you struggling like this! I think it's really important to talk to someone (family/close friend) about what happened, as a way to process what has happened. You're not looking to forget what happened (who could?), but to accept what has happened and move forwardx

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Sorry for your loss, and the way in which in happened, I cant even imagine what that must have been like. Or what it's still like even now. Having lost close family aswell, I wish I could say that being without them gets better, but for me, I feel a pretty big part of my life will always be missing. What I can say is that it gets easier with time, either through distractions or through talking. Talking is probably the most important even if it's difficult as hell, because eventually it will help replace that feeling of loss with a bit of happiness regarding the good times you shared with them. 
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    edited November 2019
    I am so sorry for your lose. I cant imagine how painful it all must feel. 

Everyones different and theres no timescale on grief. It still sounds pretty recent. The first year can feel the worst, with the first dates of things. I dont think there is a time you completly get over that - it will always hurt cause you was close & some days things may trigger it and completly break you because you was very close. But as time goes on i hope you have more happy/avarage days than the sad ones & it becomes less painful and you keep all the good memories <3 & i really wish you all the best in your healing x

take lots of care of yourself & let us know how youre if you like. Wed listen x <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey @lozza180397 :heart:

Just wanted to pop on to send you some hugs and echo what has already been said. 

Just come across this website called Hope Again - it may help you :heart:

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    ValerialettoValerialetto Posts: 87 Budding Regular
    hey @lozza180397,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, I guess there aren't any proper words which can support you(

As @Shaunie already told, everyone is different and for sure there won't be a day when this memory just disappears from your memory :s  

https://www.centerforloss.com/2016/12/helping-heal-adult-sibling-dies/

I guess you can find some suitable advices and some useful information in this article. The main idea is that we have to accept that this grief exists, that it's difucilt to cope with and it's impossible to get rid of it completely, although you can live with it and maybe some actions or thoughts can make it easier

Send you hugs  <3
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular

I just wanted to send you huge hugs <3 I'm so sorry that you and your family have had to go through such a tragic loss.

Have you had any counselling or help to cope with your grief?

I've found a few articles about grief on The Mix website, hopefully some of these may help:

There are a few helplines on this BBC article if you did want to talk to someone: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4MmhHDSbdDmTpVJhBs2v4Py/information-and-support-bereavement