Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Injection at dentist

ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
So...
I already have bottom braces and getting my top fixed soon. To level my bite as I eat more on one side the dentist (which is really nice) is taking my took out.
If this works too well, my bite may be too on the other side so another tooth may need to be taken out.
If I dont do it my teeth may be 'pertruding' or stick out a bit.

The dentist appointment is Wednesday. I have had a tooth out before but i hated the injection and Im really scared. I dont care if it hurts I just hate the needle feeling. Im having nightmares about this and I havent had them in a long time. I cant get to sleep thinking about it so I have to read until i literally cant open my eyes any more. This is making me more tired so more stressed and Im just really overwhelmed
Im even thinking to cancel my appointment, and just live with a chance of pertruding teeth but I dont want that. Please help I am getting so stressed.

I dont want to tell my friends or family I have a fear on needles aswell because atm I have so many other worries they are trying to deal with. :s

Also just to make it clear I love my dentist and I'm not scared of him  <3
Thanks x
My feelings are bigger on the inside.
 "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
The joy is worth the pain.

Comments

• ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    * lol the top line said toot not tooth sorry  :#
    At least that bit make me smile a bit x
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕

• mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @ClaraOswald

I don't have too much experience with dentists but I know some dentists provide additional support for people that might be nervous around needles. If you're comfortable (and of age) to do so, maybe if you rang or visited the dentist before hand and explained they could use some kind of alternative or just help you along the way somehow. Or maybe you could try using numbing gel before you go so you feel the needle less.

And I agree on the needle feeling, it's horrible and the worst part. I find closing my eyes, trying to stay as calm as possible and try thinking about something completely different helps me.
  • Evelyn360Evelyn360 Posts: 82 Budding Regular
    Hi @ClaraOswald,

I'm sorry that you're having nightmares over your dentist appointment  <3 having anything done at the dentist can be really daunting! I had to have 4 teeth taken out before I had braces as I had too many teeth (better too many than not enough though right  :)

It's good that you have a really nice dentist, it always makes such a difference, I had a really nice dentist as well. He would always explain things before he did them and the type of "pain" or "sensation" I would feel before I felt it which I think helped a lot. Is this something you could maybe ask your dentist to do? I wouldn't definitely talk to your dentist about your worries with injections, he might have some kind words to help you relax and he probably has a lot of patients that feel the same. 

I hope your appointment goes well and you're able to get a good night's sleep  <3
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hi @ClaraOswald how are you feeling today?

I'm so sorry to hear you feel stressed about visiting the dentist and that you don't feel able to reach out to friends or family, you have made a positive step in coming to the boards about it :) Having a phobia of needles is completely natural and we are all here to listen and support you in any way we can. 

It's really good to hear that you feel comfortable around your dentist - I am sure he will be understanding of your fears as he will have experience of treating other patients who have similar concerns.

I found this article from the NHS which gives a few tips about how to feel more comfortable at the dentist, including:
    • Tell the dentist that you're anxious and what your fears are, so they know beforehand.
    • Agree a sign with the dentist to signal that you need a break and want them to stop. It can be as simple as pointing your finger, and will help you feel more in control.
    • Talk to the dentist about using a numbing gel if you have a fear of needles.
    • Use headphones to listen to music during your visit. It may help you relax.
    I hope some of these tips are helpful - do let us know if there is anything we can do to help <3 

As @Evelyn360 said, we wish the best of luck tomorrow and I hope you get a good night's sleep. 
    Hello everyone and thanks for the advice x

Yesterday I kind of had a breakdown at school about it, and I hope I dont have another one today however
     @Evelyn360 Last night I slept better, I looked at your messages and they helped knowing someone understands  :)
    @mags98 @PoppyB sadly I'm not of age to call my dentist but I will ask for some numbing cream once I'm there. Im also going to listen to some music, which is a great idea!

Thanks x

I just realised  im not going home before going to the dentist so I cant collect my headphones  :s
    Gettng really stressed x

• DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Don’t worry about and remember remember that pains is just for a sec. 

please let let me know how it goes 
    jaide
    Hello  =)

I'm back from the dentist! I said I was feeling nervous and asked for some numbing cream and he was so nice and found some out for me so I could barely feel the needle go in! It was way better than last time with no cream, so definitely recommend it to anyone. Appart from that I didnt feel a thing appart from embarrassment when mom said i look like a vampire for halloween :p

The injection is wearing off so it hurts a bit but honestly I barely felt the needle so super happy  =) I listened to my music and it helped so much. I also focoused on one bit of the room 

Thanks to everyone for helping me, I will sleep well tonight :joy:

• DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Hello  =)

I'm back from the dentist! I said I was feeling nervous and asked for some numbing cream and he was so nice and found some out for me so I could barely feel the needle go in! It was way better than last time with no cream, so definitely recommend it to anyone. Appart from that I didnt feel a thing appart from embarrassment when mom said i look like a vampire for halloween :p

The injection is wearing off so it hurts a bit but honestly I barely felt the needle so super happy  =) I listened to my music and it helped so much. I also focoused on one bit of the room 

Thanks to everyone for helping me, I will sleep well tonight :joy:
    Thanks for letting me know
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    I'm really glad to hear everything went okay in the end @ClaraOswald! Injections can be really scary, you're so brave! <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    @ClaraOswald thanks so much for letting us know how the appointment went - massive congratulations for getting through it! It's great to hear that the numbing cream meant you could barely feel it and the music helped you!

How are you feeling today? :)
    Amazing x its fully healed now! I got a few early nights and life is back to normal-ish  ;)

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    That's great to hear. Injections are very scary and quite unpleasant. Early nights sound like a good idea. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous