Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How can YOU (yes, you!) protect the planet?

HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
Hey folks!

I hope that you are all having an incredible summer so far!

I was lucky enough to visit the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (phew - long title!) on Monday, as part of the work The Mix have been doing with the British Youth Council to get young people's voices heard in government decision making. They're really keen to hear what priorities young people have around the environment and the world that we live in, and we're going to be putting together a little report for them. This will outline the action young people recommend is taken to protect our planet for the future.

It would be really cool to hear if you guys had any thoughts about what things we can do on a day to day basis to help protect the planet. If we could share those thoughts and learn from each other we would definitely make the planet a healthier place for everyone.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Harry 
Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Oh wow that's so exciting that you got to visit DEFRA - what did you get up to while you were there? I'm very passionate about the environment, so here's a few ideas:  
    • Take public transport rather than a car when travelling
    • Use reusable water bottles for cold drinks and reusable mugs for hot drinks
    • Eat less meat (e.g. encourage your family/housemates/school/university/workplace to start 'Meat Free Mondays')
    • Recycle as much as possible and dispose of your litter
    • Put your food in tupperware rather than plastic bags
    • Purchase food that is grown locally
    • Join a local environmental group or start your own
    • Get involved in online petitions or campaigns
    • Start a compost
    • Turn off lights/electrical appliances when you leave the room
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,783 Master Poster
    PoppyB said:
    Oh wow that's so exciting that you got to visit DEFRA - what did you get up to while you were there? I'm very passionate about the environment, so here's a few ideas:  
    • Take public transport rather than a car when travelling
    • Use reusable water bottles for cold drinks and reusable mugs for hot drinks
    • Eat less meat (e.g. encourage your family/housemates/school/university/workplace to start 'Meat Free Mondays')
    • Recycle as much as possible and dispose of your litter
    • Put your food in tupperware rather than plastic bags
    • Purchase food that is grown locally
    • Join a local environmental group or start your own
    • Get involved in online petitions or campaigns
    • Start a compost
    • Turn off lights/electrical appliances when you leave the room
    Awesome idea for meat free monday. My primary school started doing that in September 2017 (I left in July 2017.) Apparently it has gone down really well according to one girl joining my school in September (saw her on the day where you spend a day looking round the school, doing activities and meeting your form.) 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Get yourself a reusable water bottle one of those metal ones that keep your drinks cold or hot that way your not wasting plastic or water because your drink will stay the temperature you want it to.

try to walk short distances rather than using your car or getting your parents to take you not only save on emissions but also can help keep you healthy 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Really cool to have your thoughts on this folks! Continue being advocates for our planet, share the awesome tips you've shared above with friends and family and we'll be onto a winner.

Great to hear your former school have started Meet Free Monday's @Kasa2103 - let's see if others cstch on too! And it's really interesting that you mentioned composting @PoppyB, we spent a while discussing how we can remove the stigma around this.

Love the idea of walking @Millie2787 - it sounds simple, but I'm guilty of taking the car everywhere I go! Definitely something I'm going to make an effort to do. 

And @Aidan your plant idea is great. I'll definitely be replacing the fake plants I was planning getting for my uni desk with real ones (hopefully I won't kill them!).
    PoppyB said:
    So we basically spent the day chatting with government decision makers about environmental issues and how their messaging can get through to young people. For instance, someone aged 15-31 is the most likely to waste food (costing an individual on average of £200+ a year!) and 16-25 year olds are the most likely to litter. DEFRA wanted some advice on how to get through to young people about the environmental impact of their everyday lifestyle choices, and to get the message across that the environment is much bigger than just climate change. 

Hope that makes sense! Any more questions feel free to ask away!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Recycling
    Re use carrier bags 
    only use paper straws 
    swicth lights of 
    dont litter
    send stuff to the charity shop