Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wonderful World Cup

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
As the fianl whistle drew ever closer today I found myself going through the last month, France v Senegal seems months ago now and I have to say its been a fantastic tournament, it lived up to my expectations from start to finish.

Its fitting the final game was in my opnion the pick of the bunch, full credit to both Brazil and Germany who made it the best final in decades, but this was a world cup which will be remembered for the upsets, the year the big boys got a spanking, France, Argentina, Portugal, Italy, Nigeria, Croatia all failed to live up to expectations, none managing the last 8. To see a quater final line up which included Senegal, Turkey, USA and South Korea was a shock to say the least, but it gives hope to everyone who completes for the title of the world's greatest.

But as the wonderful Mr Collina blew his whistle today I have to admit my feeling was one of sorrow, not joy, as I watched the celebrations I couldn't help but feel that could of been us, had we beaten Brazil that empty friday morning, then I have little doubt we would of gone on to beat Turkey and Germany :(

So now its Portugal 2004, surley we have a chance, every time we say it 'this time' and time and time again our dreams are destroyed :( But this time our chances look as geniuine as ever, I'll be there this time, sunning myself in Lisbon and where ever else we may play, of course over coming Turkey must be the primary objective, thats looking a tad harder now than before the start of play, but were good enough.

All in all, a huge congratulations to both Japan and Korea - they did a magnificent job, full credit to Brazil - the tournaments best side came through :)

Whoever said football is just a game, was tragically wrong.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It so easily could've been us :(. But then it so easily could've been anyone. Italy have to feel they'd have beat Spain and Germany to be in the final. Spain were capable of beating South Korea and Germany. Although how many teams are realistically capable of beating Brazil? England definitely, Italy, another day Germany, possibly Spain.

The best team won it. Not only the best team but the most entertaining one. Respect to them. Cafu and Ronaldo especially. Ronaldinho is surely set to be the most sought over player in European football along with others (Rio, a few Turks, Butt, Friedal, few other Americans etc). The summer transfers have begun...

This World Cup has no doubt been a success. Okay a few dodgy decisions in the knock out stages may have eclipsed that but overall. The passion of the hosts, fallen giants and successful lesser nations. Turkey, South Korea, Japan, Senegal, USA even Ireland. How many seriously expected Sweden to get through? Maybe England but Sweden as well? We've laughed at Hakan Suker and Saudi Arabia, raged at Rivaldo, felt the pain of Italy, Spain, England and adopted Senegal, Japan and South Korea as second nationalities.

Anyone who said football couldn't bring people together has been prooved spectacularly wrong. The scenes at the end of the third placed play off displayed the mood of the tournament perfectly. The pictures on FIFAWorldCup.com tell the sotry of the tournament prefectly:

535383267.jpg

2471640253.jpg

795810436.jpg
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Ego
    It so easily could've been us :(. But then it so easily could've been anyone. Italy have to feel they'd have beat Spain and Germany to be in the final. Spain were capable of beating South Korea and Germany. Although how many teams are realistically capable of beating Brazil? England definitely, Italy, another day Germany, possibly Spain.

Italy and Spain certainly have the right to feel that the referring decisions were piss poor, just as we have the right to feel that the draw made our journey harder - who wouldn't have wanted a tournament where you had to play, Saudi, Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, USA and Turkey in order to reach the final?
    We've laughed at Hakan Suker and Saudi Arabia,

LMAO

How many open goal can one man miss? And then he scores the fastest goal ever!

And why did the Saudis turn up at all?
    raged at Rivaldo,

Cheating bastard should have been banned. He was still going down clutching his face in later stages, including the final...

felt the pain of Italy, Spain,

Sorry, LMAO again - see also France, Argentina and Portugal