Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"Super" skinny models banned in some countries. PTW

2»

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2019
    Just posting this cause i dont like threads going in completly wrong direction 😊

In my opinion ANYONE can be a model. Like i cant say enough. And idek how dont think someone whos naturally underweight telling them theyre too skinny for people to view is completly wrong and actually upsetting. Imo. Since modeling isnt about glamorising its saying to be comfortable no matter what you look. When there are some people out there hating their natural skinny body, why this is a thing idek. Upsetting really. And if think its glamorising or romantising then would overweight people be glamorising obesity? No cause we need lots of varied people modeling & if anything this will help peoples body images not make them worse. Many teens are influcence by the media yeah & you only think could be glamorising when underweight cause of history of them being only model & it actually being glamorised - now having all types says everything is okay.

just annoying and upsetting thats its banned in some countries 

and yeah thats all need to add 😊

Im really interested in all why people think otherwise though :) or why they think that ^ is wrong. Or if think the same 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    GreenTea said:
    Skive said:
    GreenTea said:
    Rightly so it's banned. Many young teens aspire to be "skinny" and use images of very thin models to visualize it. 
    It's extremely unhealthy. 

The banning of any natural body type as models will ultimately lead to unrealistic expectations because it creates an artificial representation of common body-types.
    Some people are large, some people are small, that is a natural expected variation, so the modelling industry should be encouraged to reflect that variation.

The modelling industry should stop photoshopping images to the Extreme and using underweight models until they are healthy Instead of romanticising unhealthy looks that influence teens and children in a negative way.
    And when naturally skinny children develop issues because there are no skinny models?
    How is that healthy?
    Weekender Offender 
    edited September 2019
    GreenTea said:
    My experience is not an opinion. It's literally experience so please respect that and stop calling it an opinion. I have already asked. 
    I'm afraid it is still an opinion, one that you may well argue is based on plenty of experience, but opinion is what it is. That's what we do on this board - share and debate opinions.:)

It's also an opinion I happen to agree with - the prolific use of skinny models has a negative effect on young people's expectations of weight. There is possibly more than one way to go about fixing that though,

The reality is that this is a sensitive cultural problem, one that I believe will be solved by a fundamental change of culture and attitude, possibly with the aid of legislation, but I think that it is important to be careful when in introducing new legislation that may itself introduce its own particular set of problems.

Weekender Offender 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited September 2019
    Please stop calling my experience an opinion because it isn't. Can you please just respect that

My experience in my own eating disorder is not an opinion. The experience of young people I work with, their stories of eating disorders, body image issues, eating disorders in families isn't an opinion. 
    I just feel it being called an opinion is invalidating not only my experience but the experience of many young people I've worked with and that's why I don't want it being called an opinion. 
    These young people are real, they have experiences they've shared, it's not an opinion. 
    Post edited by GreenTea on
    edited September 2019
    GreenTea said:
    Please stop calling my experience an opinion because it isn't. Can you please just respect that

My experience in my own eating disorder is not an opinion. The experience of young people I work with, their stories of eating disorders, body image issues, eating disorders in families isn't an opinion. 
    I just feel it being called an opinion is invalidating not only my experience but the experience of many young people I've worked with and that's why I don't want it being called an opinion. 
    These young people are real, they have experiences they've shared, it's not an opinion. 
    Im sorry but i really have no idea why you keep saying this instead of focuing on the actual thread. No one is invalidating your experience. You have literally shared your opinion on why you think it should be banned using your experience. No one has said its not real. You literally said "right so its banned" if thats not an opinion and the reasons after to back up your opinion. And the way it could affect others. Idek what Else it could be cause its definetly not an expereince. If you thinking it being banned is an experience im really missing something here
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    First off I said "rightly so it should be banned" and I gave my reason why. I based my opinion around my experience but you said my experience is an opinion. It isn't. It's experience I base an opinion on. There is a huge difference between opinion and experience. 
    I posted a comment saying I stand by what I said based on my experience with 100s of young people and was still told my experience is an opinion. It isn't. You are just making me feel unheard at this point
    edited September 2019
    Im sorry but im still confused. I never said your opinion is an experience. I said i appreciate your opinion though.... because i do since you have shared your experience. I never said oh that experience is not an experience. 

I have experience of anorexia and body image. Id still even call my own "expereince" an opinion when it comes to this thread cause theres content around it (this thread) and its because i think it shouldnt be banned because of that expereince and its my opinion. Since my expeirence is not the case for everyone or affects everyone the same hence why its called an opinion as to why this expeirence will make me think it should be banned. Still an experience though. We are all sharing our opinions & why we feel this opinion and saying i appreciate your opinion is no way is trying to invalidate you. 

Can we please focus on the actual thread. 
    edited September 2019
    Deleted. Can't be bothered anymore. 
    Your experience has formed you opinion on here. I don’t know what else you want me to say. 
    Where have i said its not an experience?

Your on a debate forum and you have shared your opinion. If i cant say " i appricate your opinion" about your opinion on a debates forum and idk what i can say anymore. 
    edited September 2019
    I like to think we can classify statements as either facts or opinions. There is obviously some overlap but for the most part, it's a useful way of thinking about things.

Facts are objective statements capable of being validated by empirical evidence.
    Opinions are subjective, and ultimately what people think about things.

In finer terms, a fact is a proven truth, whereas opinion is a personal view, that represents the outlook of an individual, which may or may not be based on fact or on experience.

It doesn't diminish your experience by calling your statement as an opinion. It sounds as though the experience you've gained means that your opinion is very valuable.
    Weekender Offender 
    You ask to stop and take it back to the original topic but you've carried on going at me because I believe experience is not opinion but experience can lead to an opinion..
    I asked if can get back on to topic and you didnt so i replied back to what you said to explain myself over the comment you have now deleted. 
    edited September 2019
    I dont want this thread to be closed for going off topic. You feel invalidated, from me appreicating your opinion. I feel like youre twisting my words. Ive said sorry for how you feel. So can either go round in cirlces and for thread to get closed and be pointless or can aviod that and end convo now. 

Now im going to copy and paste one of my opinions to get back on topic
    In my opinion ANYONE can be a model. Like i cant say enough. And idek how dont think someone whos naturally underweight telling them theyre too skinny for people to view is completly wrong and actually upsetting. Imo. Since modeling isnt about glamorising its saying to be comfortable no matter what you look. When there are some people out there hating their natural skinny body, why this is a thing idek. Upsetting really. And if think its glamorising or romantising then would overweight people be glamorising obesity? No cause we need lots of varied people modeling & if anything this will help peoples body images not make them worse. Many teens are influcence by the media yeah & you only think could be glamorising when underweight cause of history of them being only model & it actually being glamorised - now having all types says everything is okay.

just annoying and upsetting thats its banned in some countries 

and yeah thats all need to add 😊 

Im really interested in all why people think otherwise though  or why they think that ^ is wrong. Or if think the same  

edited September 2019
    Yeah completly agree aidan!

Its like show a few people a model - are they All gunna delevop some sort of eating disorder from it ? Just because theyre a model and wantto look like them? Of corse not. Its all deep rooted. Its views we need to change, not models. and to not glamorise one over the other. If it was like only skinny models allowed, then this would be an influence to some. Just like having no skinny models are gunna have bad influence on those who are naturally skinny 

And its Sooo great to see this country and companys are also allowing everyone to be comfortable in body, ASOS have models with vitiligo and cellulite on their website, primark included an amputee And vitiligo  And going in right direction to be body positive for this country. I dont think this country would hopefully never have that as a law to say right okay every single person can model except if youre naturally underweight, welll nope people cant view that. Hopefully will never happen in this country and think its going in right direction atm. Cant hide away peoples body when its natural 😊😊. We see varitity of people all the time we know we dont all look the same and should be body positive not discriminate. 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Skive said:
    GreenTea said:
    Rightly so it's banned. Many young teens aspire to be "skinny" and use images of very thin models to visualize it. 
    It's extremely unhealthy. 
    The banning of any natural body type as models will ultimately lead to unrealistic expectations because it creates an artificial representation of common body-types.
    Some people are large, some people are small, that is a natural expected variation, so the modelling industry should be encouraged to reflect that variation.
    This pretty much sums up my perspective. :)

I don't even think editing photos is the worst thing, but it does become pretty toxic when people are given thigh gaps who don't naturally have them, or when proportions are changed to be unrealistic or unnatural. Making someone's neck longer or eyes bigger is ridiculous.

The ads I come across online seem to show that we're making some progress as a society, and it's good to see companies doing more to be inclusive. Obviously we haven't completely got there yet but it's good to see some movement away from the horrific place we were in before.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • pandaisypandaisy Posts: 3 Newbie
    I think many people assume being skinny is a huge part of the modelling industry but on the contrary it’s not really anymore, everyone is focusing on promoting a “healthy body image” incase people take it upon themselves to look like the models.
    However I find that a lot of people are now becoming underrepresented and as someone who’s naturally extremely skinny and wants to put on weight (but struggles to) I am now starting to feel like it’s wrong to look how I do,
    On top of this I’m often told things like  “you’re skinny but you could easily be a model” but in reality I think I would now be told that I’m “too skinny” or don’t promote the right body image 
    I don’t think any weight model should be banned because modelling is all about representing everybody not just what you think people should look like.