Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self-care Awareness Month

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello all
Its September, the year is flying by!
September is known as self care awareness month ( as i recently discovered), its a time to remind us that taking care of ourselves can be so important. we sometimes neglect our self care because we are busy, or struggling.

So i am going to post 30 daily things to do below, for yourself! take time out of your day to look after you, as you are the most important!
Just want to clarify that this thread was inspired by a 30 days if self care post I came across on a social media platform
so here it is in the spoiler

Day 1- Research an unfimilar topic ( been intersted in something and never looked it up? spend an hour today exploring this topic!)
Day 2- complete a task you've been putting off 
day 3 - Listen to your favourite songs
Day 4- Go for a walk without checking your phone
Day 5- write in your journal 
Day 6 - Make your favourite meal - Enjoy it!
Day 7- Take a nap
Day 8- Dance - by yourself, with some friends!
Day 9- try out some yoga! ( plenty of youtube videos for those who haven't done it before)
Day 10- Spend time on a hobby.
Day 11- Do your favourite activity from childhood
Day 12- drink water
Day 13- 
Day 12- drink water
Day 13- Visit your favourite cafe 
Day 14 - Meet up with a friend
Day 15- Have a PJ day! (its Sunday after all) 
Day 16-Bake something yummy!
Day 17- set time aside to do something creative
Day 18- spend some time outside in nature
Day 19- watch the sunrise/ or sunset
Day 20- try something fun or relaxing you have wanted to try, but haven't done yet
Day 21- write down 5 things that make you happy
Day 22- have a at home Spa day with friends
Day 23- Watch a film you love!
Day 24-  De clutter a space - i personally need to de clutter my desk space!
Day 25- Go to bed early
Day 26- Take a bath
Day 27- listen to a podcast that interests you
Day 28 - disconnect from the internet ( and your phone) 
Day 29- Snuggle a pet
Day 30 - make a self care plan for the following month

hope to see some photos of your self care and any of your ideas of self care!

lets look after ourselves! 

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Day 1 ~ Very weird and random but I’ve been researching into different failings in the Health and social care settings and other agencies as part of my essay research 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2019
    Self care every month & day🙂
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    Self care every month & day🙂
    Definitely but September is the month of raising awareness of the fact we don’t do it enough :)
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I love this :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Day 2- I completed reading some paperwork I should of done weeks ago
    Day 2 - I’ve finished ( well nearly just have to Right the conclusion) my essay with means one of 3 induction tasks finished 
  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Great idea! Really like the calinadars =)
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

@Millie2787 well done 💜
    Day 3- listened to my Spotify playlists to and from work! They have some of my favourite songs on!
    Day 3 - this morning in the car me and my sister listened to some of our favourite songs . Come on Eileen is a firm favourite to sing along to.
    Day 4- self care just isn't happening
    Day 5- wrote a couple pages before work to clear my mind, now need going to do a positive page.
    It's nice when a Journal isn't all negative
    I made a fry up this morning , didn’t manage to eat it all but enjoyed it as much as I could ! 

Take a nap :) wish is what I’m about to do right now as I’m feeling poorly 
    Day 7- napped basically all day
    Day 8- I always dance around anyway when getting ready in the morning
    Update- dance because it's cold 😂
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2019
    Barely have energy to move let alone pretend to have positive energy & dance. Will just never find me dancing Unless im drunk 😂 I do want to try to find some enrgy to do some gentle yoga tomorrow though. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    If you find a video on yoga that you think would fit nicely here, feel free to share it
    Day 9- does weird stretches in bed count as yoga?
    GreenTea said:
    Day 9- does weird stretches in bed count as yoga?
    Those them lay in bed doing weird how far csn you get your leg over stretches ! 😂
    Day 10- I didn't have the time today. I've only just had time to sit down at 10:30pm

I really suck at self care
    11- didn't have time yesterday but today I climbed a tree!
    12- drank plenty today.

(Day 13 doesn't have anything next to it ahhh sorry, do anything that you want to do for this day)
  • AbiAbi Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    I really do like the idea of this thread @GreenTea sometimes doing self care even just once a week can help. I will admit i didn't know it was self-care awareness month. 

Day 14 - I met a lovely stranger this morning offered me some of her kitkat and I met up with my family this afternoon and got to see my niece :)
    I don't think many people knew to be fair. I mean I only knew because of Instagram to which I investigated further and found websites with "self care maps" and other ideas
    Day 15 - I didn’t get to have a PJ day today becuase I had work this morning but instead me and Louie are having a snuggle day now I’m back
    Day 17- creative...ermmm I drew a cat then scribbled over it then coloured in like those mindful things
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Day 20- I did some art. I never do it as I feel too scared about messing up.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    Just want to bump this up 
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Day 27 - listening to my favourite podcast to send me off to sleep!

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Day 28 - I wish I had a pet to snuggle! I've followed a new puppy Instagram account though <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤