Home General Chat Positivity Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mental health myths

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit

Heyy

So I just really wanted to share these mental health myths somewhere. As still think clearly some stigma. Can add your own if want. :). But wanted to say these anyway  

Myth: eating disorders are lifestyle chioce and about vainity 

Fact:there is a lot more about eating disorder than body image. There is lot of feelings of control, addiction and obsession. Defientily doesn’t feel like a chioce. 

Myth: because I feel disgusting about getting fat and hate the thought of it - I must think fat people are disgusting and must hate them too

Fact : don’t hate fat people.  Just because I personally hate the way fat makes me Feel disgusting doesn’t mean I think fat people are disgusting. Sometimes I don’t care about my weight. I like the feeling of being “empty & clean”- which Feels less ‘disgusting’ 

This one I’ve quoted from Samaratians website

Myth: People who threaten suicide are just attention seeking and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Fact: People who threaten suicide should always be taken seriously. It may well be that they want attention in the sense of calling out for help, and giving them this attention may save their life.”

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• scottscott Deactivated Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    edited December 2018
    Hey @Shaunie

A great start to this list and I'm looking forward to hearing from other people as they add to this list :)

One thing you might find interesting is this video we made in 2016 which talks about the myths surrounding self-harm: https://youtu.be/pBXoe7sJwfA

Scott
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    edited December 2018
    Love this Shaunie!  Looking forward to posting some about anxiety after tea xo

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    Great post @Shaunie The one about suicidal people just being attention seekers particularly resonates with me. Thought I'd add a few more if you don't mind.

Myth: BPD sufferers are manipulative attention seekers with poor control over their emotions.
    Reality: BPD sufferers feel emotions a lot more strongly than other people and struggle to negotiate social relationships because of fears of abandonment and feelings of inadequacy.

Myth: self-harm is just a form of attention seeking.
    Reality: most people are very secretive about their self-harming behaviour and feel ashamed of having to use it as a way of coping. 

Myth: people who are depressed just need to exercise more and think positively.
    Reality: exercise may help in cases of very mild depression but treatment for most depression is nothing like as straightforward as that and telling a depressed person to "think positively" usually just makes them feel more inferior for their suffering. 

Myth: violent crimes like shootings are more likely to be committed by people with a history of mental health problems.
    Reality: people with mental health problems are statistically far more likely to become the victims of violent crime than to commit violent crime themselves. Mental health does not actually affect one's understanding of morality.

I expect I'll think of more as soon as I post this, but that's probably enough for now! 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Absolutely love these. Great thread idea. :) My first one is similar to the Sams quote:

Myth: If someone is attention seeking, there is no serious problem.
    Reality: People seek attention because they need that attention, usually for something very serious and real for them.

Myth: Self-care is just about small treats, lilke having a bubble bath.
    Reality: Self-care can mean that in the short-term. Long-term, it can mean creating a life for yourself that you don't feel the need to escape from constantly; shaping your life around what you're comfortable with and what your limits are. (Disclaimer: obviously this doesn't apply to things you have zero control over.)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture

MYTH: ‘Only girls self-harm’

Truth : It is often assumed that girls are more likely than boys to self-harm, however it isn’t clear if this is true. Boys and girls may engage with different self-harming behaviours or have different reasons for hurting themselves [, but this doesn’t make it any less serious.

MYTH: ‘People who self-harm must enjoy it’

Truth : Some people believe that people who self-harm take pleasure in the pain or risk associated in the behaviour. There is no evidence that people who self-harm feel pain differently than anyone else. The harming behaviour often causes people great pain. For some, being depressed has left them numb and they want to feel anything to remind them they are alive, even if it hurts. Others have described this pain as punishment. 

I’m to lazy to write my own so I copied them from here 😂😂. https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publications/truth-about-self-harm
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Meed this thread back.  Steroypes or pre judging someone from what diagnosis they have. BPD isnt an attention seeker. Anorexia doesnt mean youve got fat phobia. Depression isnt lazy
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley