Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plus size model front cover of magazine. Right or wrong?

124»

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Also you can’t state you aren’t being fat phobic then say something that is. That’s like me saying I’m not racist but I wish black people wouldn’t be in the media 
    Thats your opinion
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited September 2019
    Please leave me alone now
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Shaunie said:
    Also you can’t state you aren’t being fat phobic then say something that is. That’s like me saying I’m not racist but I wish black people wouldn’t be in the media 
    Thats your opinion
    So I can say whatever I want as long as I state that I’m not being offensive?
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    I’m just debating the issue of fatphobia which is highly linked with the debate of whether overweight people should be allowed on the front of a magazine
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aidan said:
    That's very interesting actually.

So because healthier people live longer, they are a larger strain when they have age-related health issues than when overweight people are treated for weight-related health problems.

Hadn't thought about that!
    There's lots of evidence of this. Just have to search the right things to find the evidence and statistics that show obesity isn't much of a strain
    Youve clearly suggested ive got fat phobia. Labelling someoen with fat phobia is offensive. I dont call people racist when theyre not. Plus if someone was called racist they wouldnt be offended or upset cause theyd have strong beliefs that think are right. Im offended because not got fat phobia. 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    There is Attucally now a lot of work that weight related issues are treated sooner , yes in the short term a gastric bypass might cost loads but in the long run could save the different NHs department Millions.

in my opinion he’s curvy people should be on magazines Because attucally it says Hey im comfortable and happy with my body , there’s no reason why you shouldn’t.

Bottom line is : we should all be happy in our own bodies and not care what others think of you ! ❤️“
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    I did say anyone can be models. 
    I'd also like to point out the term plus size is very loosely used. Many modelling agencies consider 12/14 UK size as plus size when it's infact an average size
    I agree... everyone should look up @heytiffanyroe on insta and many others who promote intuitive eating and health at every size. Let’s stop shaming people for the way they look and making them feel bad for existing. The issue is so complex that none of us know what has caused someone to be the weight that they are, and therefore we should just mind our own business and stop being rude. 
    edited September 2019
    Heyy just want to finally say again cause feel bad. That i never meant to come across as body shaming. And want to apolgise if came across like that. :)  was literally just my opinion on things. 
    & hopefully thats the end of that convo
    Aidan said:
    A 2014 study showed 62% of England adults are overweight or obese.

Being overweight is the average, but it's not about comparing ourselves with others, it's about being as happy and healthy as you want to be <3

2017 the percentage is slightly less, suggesting a slow decrease
  • AbiAbi Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hey Everyone, 

I've closed this thread now, as things started to get heated. If you would like to continue talk about this feel free to start a new thread. 

<3
This discussion has been closed.