Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plus size model front cover of magazine. Right or wrong?

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited September 2019
    Shaunie said:
    Im more interest in weight.

No body shaming turns into shaming underweigjt people and it shows everywhere.

Shauine how does no body shaming shame underweight people surely no body shaming is a good thing ! Body shaming is bullying so no body shaming is a good thing it’s not shaming underweight people 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    But i just know. This conversation would be completly different if it was a very skinny model. Yet we should all be comfortable 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    It’s not personal ... I am just saying that you state she shouldn’t be on the cover because it glamourises it and it’s a strain on the nhs. So you’re saying you’re concerned about the nhs and that’s why you want to dictate someone’s weight..... but if you were truly concerned about the nhs then why this why not all the other multitude of issues that affect the nhs. It’s deeply ingrained fat phobia that people don’t even realise they have
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    I mean. When media turned more to "not body shaming" all across my media if made over weight people start to feel better while also making thin people worse. Like having pictures of thin people and saying how disgusting it is and flat people who have no ass & shit quotes 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited September 2019
    I careabout all things weight related. That includes health
    I dont think youre reading what im saying properly. So i dont think i should bother now. 

Thanks for opinion. :) But i know what i meant 
    Shaunie said:
    I mean. When media turned more to "not body shaming" all across my media if made over weight people start to feel better while also making thin people worse. Like having pictures of thin people and saying how disgusting it is and flat people who have no ass & shit quotes 
    Yes but that’s not what we are talking about. That isn’t ok either and I wouldn’t condone those kinda things about any body. You’re original post was about this particular lady and why she shouldn’t be on the front cover
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Everyone is beautiful what ever shape, size, weight they are in my opinion. 
    There's a lot more straining the NHS than weight, to which can be caused by multiple illnesses and not just over eating / under eating. 
    Everyone has a story to why they are the way they are and we should be proud and confident about who we are and what our bodies look like
    Yes it is relvant cause changing thin models to very overweight ones and never having thin ones is just saying we shouldnt be that thin. Just like When people said they never saw fat models 
    edited September 2019
    So youd be okay to see a very skinny model on the front magazine then? 
    There are plenty of thin models on the covers. Most are 
    edited September 2019
    (deleted, shouldn't of bothered commenting)
    Not very thin imo. Not dangerously lookingthin. Like how dangerously overweight ive seen some people LOOK. 
    You dont think it gamourise it then ? Or if youre overweight make you feel bad about your body? 
    Are you their doctor or dietician? You don’t know anything about their health

We never said that all models on fronts of magazines should be full with those with curves , there’s needs to be a healthy balance and now just heavily photoshopped “skinny” people 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    I said LOOK. In caps. Im no doctor
    edited September 2019
    (deleted, shouldn't of bothered commenting)
    Shaunie said:
    You dont think it gamourise it then ? Or if youre overweight make you feel bad about your body? 
    No I don’t think it glamourises it. If you read my previous post I explained that the cover isn’t about her saying she’s proud she’s fat and you should be fat too. She’s saying it’s ok to be who you are and exist in your body. She just happens to be fat also. That’s not everything about her... health is a lot more nuanced than weight. 
    edited September 2019
    Shaunie said:
    Not very thin imo. Not dangerously lookingthin. Like how dangerously overweight ive seen some people LOOK. 
    Mmmm possibly fat shaming agin there - your saying there’s no dangerously underweight people but all the “fat” people on magazines look like they are danergously overweight ....

We all know how much and often models are photoshopped and editted to fit the perfect picture the society we created, wants.

edited September 2019
    Okay. Im jusy going to finally say. My point is SOMETIMES people who are overweigjt and they say a skinny looking model they can feel bad about their body like this is what we should look like. While people who are thin can see overweiht people and be also jelous. & both extremes are dangerous to show people.in that way

what can be called as glamarising

I don't know why that comment is so big and I can't take the bigness away. It won't let me 🙃🙃🙃 helo
    Okay. I fel like maybe everyones TRYING to be offended over everything i say. Im not trying to shame anyone. :)
    edited September 2019
    Shauine you litreally said there’s no dangerously underweight people on magazines and that all “fat” people on them Look dangerously overweight so yes I am going to take offence to that . If I was on that magersizne would you say that , or would you say that to the models face no no you wouldn’t , just as you wouldn’t say the same to a underweight person 
    Aidan said:
    The problem is with the magazine industry, showing people who are edited to unrealistic standards, or people at a level of health that can't be safely maintained, to try and sell a product without regard for the consequences.
    Literally what I'm trying to say lmao

Even people on Instagram are editing their pictures in such a way to create what they think is the perfect body 
    edited September 2019
    Disagree all you like. I dont care. But dont say im body shaming when im not. It my opinion My chioce of words of "fat people" are not the best chioce of words but i dont mean to body shame. And am sorry if read it that way. Im not shaming anyone. 
    Shaunie said:
    Disagree all you like. I dont care. But dont say im body shaming when im not. My chioce of words of "fat people" are not the best chioce of words but i dont mean to body shame. And am sorry if read it that way. Im not shaming anyone. 
    Shauine by saying all “fat people “ on the front of magazines look dangerously overweight where as skinny people don’t is doing exactly that , your feeding into the stereotypes around larger people be saying that 
    edited September 2019
    Im not interested in this conversation anymore & i cant be bothered to explain my self anymore.or read this When no matter what ill say will find something bad in it

Thanks for opinion tho. 
    edited September 2019
    & my dangeriusly overweight & dangerously underweight looking maybe different for your view & thats fine. Not shaming. 
This discussion has been closed.