Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anxiety and upset about college

dogmad20dogmad20 Posts: 152 Helping Hand
Hello 
i feel so nervous and worried about going to college tomorrow so much anxiety feeling upset about it any ideas of how I can cope what I should do?

Comments

• hydrangeahydrangea Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    Is there anything in particular you are feeling anxious about, or is it a more general anxiety about college?

Try distracting yourself, like watching your favourite show or some youtube videos for example? You could even try watching some ASMR videos if that kind of thing helps you.

I'd also recommend looking up breathing exercises. I find that these exercises give you back a sense of control and they distract you from the anxiety, since you're busy focusing on controlling your breathing.

Finally, keep reminding yourself that it will be ok. Just concentrate on getting through the day - it's ok if that's all you do. Just know you did your best and that's something to be proud of! I believe in you :3
    I reserve my right to feel uncomfortable, reserve my right to be afraid
    I make mistakes and I am humbled every step of the way
    I want to be a better person, I wanna know the master plan
    Cast your stones, cast your judgement, you don't make me who I am.
  • dogmad20dogmad20 Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Just general  anxiety I mean what do I do when I get there and what should I say to  tutor?
  • hydrangeahydrangea Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    It's ok if you don't say anything at all. Unless your tutor takes attendance, in that case you just need to say you're there and that's it. I'm guessing your college is different than the one I went to - I didn't have a form group at my college, so in my experience I just went to my classes and focused on my work.
    I reserve my right to feel uncomfortable, reserve my right to be afraid
    I make mistakes and I am humbled every step of the way
    I want to be a better person, I wanna know the master plan
    Cast your stones, cast your judgement, you don't make me who I am.
  • LibbyLibby Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    Hi, im sorry to hear you're going through this ❤ I felt really nervous about college a few days ago as well so I understand what you're going through. Even if tmw doesn't go well for you, remember to focus on anything good that happens and the fact that you have gotten through the day as Hydrangea mentioned. I believe in you to get through the day and remember to tell us how it went.
    Sending hugs xxx

• PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hi @dogmad20

I can hear that you're feeling really anxious about going to college tomorrow and you've made a positive step to reach out for support on the boards today. It's perfectly normal to feel nervous on the first day and I'm sure many people in your year will be feeling the same as you.

As @Libby said, remember to focus on simply getting through the day. Even if tomorrow doesn't go as planned, remember that it is only the first day and doesn't define the rest of the year - do remember you're not alone with how you are feeling and there will always be people here on the boards to support you <3  

Is there anyone, such as friends and family, that you can speak to around you about how you are feeling?  

Mindfulness can sometimes help with feelings of anxiety, Mind has a great article about how to do it here.

If you feel like you want further support, AnxietyUK run helplines, email support, live chats and therapy services for people with anxiety disorders and you can call 08444 775 774. Alternatively you can speak to The Mix helpline on 0808 808 4994.

Do let us know how you get on tomorrow, wishing you lots of luck!

Nope there isn’t it isn’t my first day been going for a year and a bit now 
    College going ok but now it’s lunch time and I’m sat on my own feeling lonely and upset don’t want to go back to class as tutor will ask what’s wrong 
  • LibbyLibby Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    dogmad20 said:
    College going ok but now it’s lunch time and I’m sat on my own feeling lonely and upset don’t want to go back to class as tutor will ask what’s wrong 
    Hi,  im sorry to hear that lunch is going badly for you. I've been feeling exactly the same recently so I understand how you feel and how horrible that is. Why don't you want your tutor to know how  you feel, is there a certain reason? 
    The fact that you don't have anyone to hang around with proves that they're missing out because you seem like a really nice person. Remember that you don't need to feel lonely as we're here if you need to talk xxx
    Just because I don’t want tutor to get welfare involved again I am home now and going to email tutor how I have been feeling as I can’t attend Friday anyway  so need to email tutor I know here at the mix is so supportive 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time at college. Keep going - hope that tomorrow is a better day! We're here for youx

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.