Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

World Suicide Prevention Day 2019

coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl

Hello! 

Today is a really important day as it is World Suicide Prevention Day♡ This is a day where organisations and communities from all around the world come together to raise awareness of suicide prevention - and the ways we can work together to create a world where much fewer people are affected by suicide. Each year there is a different theme and this year’s theme is “'Working Together to Prevent Suicide”; aiming to “highlight the most essential ingredient for effective suicide prevention - collaboration” (you can read more about it here).  So I thought we could create a positive thread filled with words of comfort and support to let everyone know that they are never alone, it is always okay to talk and things absolutely can get better. ♡ 

I thought I’d start off by sharing some helpful links for anybody who may feel affected by suicide or suicidal thoughts in any way. If anyone knows any others please do feel free to share.

And as the theme is working together, for my words of comfort I just want to affirm that you are never ever alone. No mater how it may feel, there is always somebody who cares and who can help. ♡

(You can also use the hashtag #worldsuicidepreventionday across social media to find supportive quotes, services and see the ways the whole world is coming together to support suicide prevention. Nobody has to go through this alone - we are ALL here for you ♡)

Tagged:

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    This is such a nice thread for a really important day, thank you for writing this @coc0mac <3

My words of comfort are similar. You never have to fight through anything alone. There will always be someone out there who cares and will be there to listen and support you. <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Wonderful to see you raising awareness of World Suicide Prevention Day and you have signposted to some excellent resources @coc0mac :)

I organised for the Samaritans to come into my workplace today to talk about how to speak to someone who is feeling suicidal and I thought I would pass on their advice:

Show you care - Focus on what they are saying, make eye contact and put away your phone.
    Have patience - Respect that it may take time before a person is ready to open up.
    Use open questions - Use open questions that need more than a yes/no answer.
    Say it back - Check you’ve understood without interrupting or offering a quick solution.
    Have courage - Don’t be put off by a negative response and don’t try to fill silences.

My words of comfort are: even if you feel like there is no way out from the pain you are feeling, there are people out there who care about you and want to listen and support you. You are never truly alone in the world. You matter, you are important, you are worthy - always <3  
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Absolutely love your advice, thank you both @Aife @PoppyB

@PoppyB That's fantastic to hear you had Samaritans in your workplace - such a great way to raise awareness. Really great advice shared, thank you :heart: 
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    This is a brilliant thread @coc0mac

Having had a close friend lose his dad to suicide, my words of comfort are from experience... from Matt Haig's 'Reasons to Stay Alive': "The hole you'd leave is bigger than the pain you suffer by being" (even if you don't think so right now) <3 There are people that want to support you, keep fighting.
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Thank you @Lucy307! Those are some beautiful words, thank you so much for sharing - big hugs to you and your friend as well :heart: