Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should voting age be lowered to 16?

mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
What are your opinions?
Should voting age be lowered to 16 or maybe have some unofficial vote to see what the younger population may want?

Should voting age be lowered to 16? 12 votes

No
0%
Yes, lower age
75%
SkiveJustVSholay09independent_SienaDancerchubbydumplingKathleen07loloislazy 9 votes
Unofficial vote
25%
Past UserStarlightPast User 3 votes

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I can't vote for this, it's a difficult one.
    Some 16 year olds are very infromed about politics, other 16 year olds are completely clueless.
    I can see points from both side of the on going argument about this and I don't feel I can say if they should or shouldn't get a vote because both sides of the argument are very valid.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Yes, lower age
    Yes cause their future too. 16 years can know a lot about it. & I guess if they didn't they wouldn't bother. Kinda like most ages tbh. But then i don’t know much about politics at all tbh - lot of 16 year olds probs know more than me - I just vote whatever my parents do so not always what that age want. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Yes, lower age
    I'm very passionate about this subject, as a 16 year old who studies politics as part of a social science course. I love politics, I keep informed and it's often me informing adults about it haha.

I definitely think the age should be lowered. At 16, I could be living away from home with a husband and a child. As someone who could do these things I think I should be able to have a say in who governs this (shambles at the moment haha) country.

I'm in Scotland so can vote in Scottish elections, but there isn't one of those due until I'm about 19. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”