Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going back to school/college/university - Support Thread

coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
edited March 27 in Work & Study

Hello! 

We’ve reached the time of year where many of us will be going back to school, to college, or to university - and I just thought I’d start a discussion to check in on how everyone is feeling about this, and to offer any advice to others. 

It’s totally normal to feel a bit nervous at this time. Often things are feeling very new, whether it is a new year group and new subjects, or you might even be moving to a new place altogether. It’s normal, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t things we can all do to help make ourselves feel that little bit better! 

So I’m wondering 

1) how are you feeling? Are you excited, looking forward to the change, or is there something on your mind?

2) what advice would you give to someone starting or going back to school/college/university?

I’ll start the little advice train off here. I’m about to go into my third year at university, and I am currently feeling apprehensive as this is an important year for me. However some advice that I would give to anyone in any stage of university, and to myself this year, is to remember that university is not just about grades. They’re important, but it is also a huge learning experience where you grow and develop as a person in so many ways. If ever you are disappointed with a grade, it is really important to also see the positive side which is how much you have grown from the entire experience. This is something I would tell a friend who needed some support, so it’s something I am telling myself as well :) 

I’d love to hear your thoughts and I hope everyone has a really great first day back whenever and wherever that may be. Take good care - it would be great to hear how your first days go. You’ve all got this :heart: 

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Lovely idea! :)
    I will be doing technically my third year of college, though i dropped out the first year so its really my second.

To answer the questions in order.

1) How are you feeling? Not the greatest, tbh i'm just going back this year to try it, my plan is to hang with it for a couple of months to get my benefit money and then drop out. But if it turns out okay I'll stay. :) Just feel like i did one year and didn't enjoy it why would i again 😂 

2) What advice would you give someone starting or going back to school/college/uni?

I'd say not to stress it, it can be scary but remember its daunting for loads of others too. I never did school but i know with college everyone is there to help you. Talk to someone if the work is confusing you, if you're struggling, and importantly if you're being bullied :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    In school, I cried on the first day which is so embarasing :s
    I liked it over the summer when you didnt have to deal with all the stupid people and pretend to laugh at your friends jokes which is so mentally exhausting but it really hit me at school I had to get used to this again  :'(
    Also this year there is so much work and Im worried I cant cope already  :'(
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• LibbyLibby Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    Hey,
    So tmw is my proper first day of year 13 as I was only in for college for a few hours today to be told about attendance and stuff. Im feeling kind of excited because all of my health and social care teachers have changed, so Im looking forward to see what that's like. Im also scared as well because im worried that im gonna become overwelmed from stress like I did last year and that had really bad consequences for me. 

One piece of advice for people who're starting and going back to uni and school and stuff is that you shouldn't let anyone (e.g. teachers and bullies) stop you from doing what you wanna do. If they say anything negative about you, then remember that what they say are just opinions and that you're definately capeable of proving them wrong. Also, be kind to yourself. Remember to have breaks and days off from studying so that you can have a clearer mindset and so that you can experience other aspects of life you enjoy such as hobbies. Even though some  teachers act as if grades are the most important thing ever, they're really not because they don't reflect on you as a person. Xxx❤
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Great thread idea @coc0mac !

I graduated from university in 2017 (seems like it was only yesterday though!) but I remember how daunting the first day of a new year felt, especially with the pressure of exams looming.

My advice would be to remember that everyone is feeling nervous in the first few days. Also, do not base your self worth on the percentage score that you receive in an exam! There are always other options if you don't do as well as you hoped. I really like your advice @Laine about talking to someone if you struggling - whether it is work-related or not, reaching out to people you trust is always a positive step. 

Libby said:
    Im feeling kind of excited because all of my health and social care teachers have changed, so Im looking forward to see what that's like. Im also scared as well because im worried that im gonna become overwelmed from stress like I did last year and that had really bad consequences for me. 
    It's great to hear that you are excited for the new year @Libby. How would you feel about speaking to your new teachers about what triggers your stress and how they could support you through the year? 

Best of luck to all of you starting a new year in school/college/university <3 Let us know how you get on :)

Hi Poppy,
     Im having Counseilling at college soon, so hopefully we can talk about stress and how to deal with it. Im not sure if one of the teachers has already spoken to them, but it seems like a good idea. The only thing is I would be a bit nervous about talking to them xxx
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Just found out i'm doing gcse maths and english, so looking forward to it even less 😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    This thread is a really good idea! 💗

How am I feeling? It was my first day back at college on Tuesday, my third year and I am feeling quite good about it at the moment. I am still struggling with the anxiety around actually going but I always enjoy it when I’m there and it’s good being able to spend time with my friends! 

Advice for anyone starting/going back to school, college etc? My advice would be too not but too much pressure on yourself and if you are struggling with the work load or personal issues, there is always someone to go to so you’ll never be alone 💓

Butterfly x

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Wow, the advice everyone has given so far is lovely and so so true! :heart:

@Laine, I agree with @PoppyB, I absolutely love your advice about talking someone. It's always one of the very best things we can do to help ourselves I feel! And a huge well done for giving it another go :heart: I hope everything goes well for you - always remember to do whatever is best for you and your mental health! Best of luck with the maths and english as well. I remember doing my GCSEs and found "Mr Bruff" on youtube extremely helpful https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff. He makes videos for GCSE and A-Level English! Also this is a great video about the best way to revise for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWn9aMyNnj8. They really helped me so I hope they can help you as well :smile:

@ClaraOswald I'm so sorry to hear you had a difficult first day - I really hope today has been better for you :heart: I remember feeling embarrassed too when I cried in school, but believe me anybody who was around you will forget about it so so quickly! It's absolutely okay to have a cry when things are hard - you are human :heart: Were you able to speak to anybody when you were feeling this way, and do you think you could speak to anyone about your workload worries at all? :smile: The teachers are there to support you - and you always deserve to feel supported!

@Libby wow I absolutely loved your advice! very, very true :heart: It's great to hear that you will soon be having counselling at school - very well done for making that step :smile: It's very normal to feel nervous about speaking to a counsellor, but I really believe you can do it! Is there anything in particular that you are worried about? Remember we are always here for you if there's anything you'd like to talk about! Good luck :smile: 

@Butterfly23 Again, some absolutely lovely advice! And so so important :heart: It's great to hear that you are feeling quite good about college, and that you are able to have a nice time when you are there :smile: Whenever I feel anxious about going somewhere I have a "30 minute anxiety session" where I take a notebook and I jot down all of my anxious thoughts and try and find solutions. All of the things I am worried about make a lot more sense when they are put into words and it really helps me to realise it won't be that bad. After the 30 minutes is up, I try my best to put those thoughts aside and relax :smile: Just a little idea that might help - I really hope it can help you in some way! :heart:

I love that everyone was so open, love this thread! Best of luck guys, we've all got this :smile:
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Thank you for that advice @coc0mac! 💓
    coc0mac said:
    Wow, the advice everyone has given so far is lovely and so so true! :heart:

@Laine, I agree with @PoppyB, I absolutely love your advice about talking someone. It's always one of the very best things we can do to help ourselves I feel! And a huge well done for giving it another go :heart: I hope everything goes well for you - always remember to do whatever is best for you and your mental health! Best of luck with the maths and english as well. I remember doing my GCSEs and found "Mr Bruff" on youtube extremely helpful https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff. He makes videos for GCSE and A-Level English! Also this is a great video about the best way to revise for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWn9aMyNnj8. They really helped me so I hope they can help you as well :smile:

@ClaraOswald I'm so sorry to hear you had a difficult first day - I really hope today has been better for you :heart: I remember feeling embarrassed too when I cried in school, but believe me anybody who was around you will forget about it so so quickly! It's absolutely okay to have a cry when things are hard - you are human :heart: Were you able to speak to anybody when you were feeling this way, and do you think you could speak to anyone about your workload worries at all? :smile: The teachers are there to support you - and you always deserve to feel supported!

@Libby wow I absolutely loved your advice! very, very true :heart: It's great to hear that you will soon be having counselling at school - very well done for making that step :smile: It's very normal to feel nervous about speaking to a counsellor, but I really believe you can do it! Is there anything in particular that you are worried about? Remember we are always here for you if there's anything you'd like to talk about! Good luck :smile: 

@Butterfly23 Again, some absolutely lovely advice! And so so important :heart: It's great to hear that you are feeling quite good about college, and that you are able to have a nice time when you are there :smile: Whenever I feel anxious about going somewhere I have a "30 minute anxiety session" where I take a notebook and I jot down all of my anxious thoughts and try and find solutions. All of the things I am worried about make a lot more sense when they are put into words and it really helps me to realise it won't be that bad. After the 30 minutes is up, I try my best to put those thoughts aside and relax :smile: Just a little idea that might help - I really hope it can help you in some way! :heart:

I love that everyone was so open, love this thread! Best of luck guys, we've all got this :smile:
    Thanks coc0mac x Im worried that I might feel suicidal again due to being overwelmed from stress and isolated. Also that the counsellor won't understand me. I really like your advice that you should consider what you gained from experience, rather then just grades. I think that would be really helpful for this year whenever I feel stressed, so thank you. I hope that your third year at uni goes how you want- i believe it will and remember you can talk to us as well xxx❤
  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Thanks for all the nice words @coc0mac
    I could always speak to some of my teachers I've known for a while but I'm not sure I'm ready to tell anyone just yet. It feels a bit embarrasing as I'm not good at confronting people about my feelings  :s 
    My week got a bit better but I have a massive booklet to fill in and a test on all the stuff I learnt last year next week so its not going too well, but hopefully it will get better  :)
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

@Libby That sounds tough, but it's really good that you are able to identify that you are feeling that way! Figuring out your feelings early on means you can find ways to support yourself from the beginning - so a massive well done for that :smile::heart: Your counsellor is there to support you, and if you feel like they are not quite understanding how you feel then it is absolutely okay to let them know. If it came to that, a good idea could be to write exactly how you are feeling in a letter, and perhaps how you think they are understanding you versus what you'd actually like them to understand. That way you can take time to express your feelings and they can spend time reading over and over the letter until you are both on the same page :heart: Best of luck and take good care! And thank you so so much, means a lot :heart: 
    @ClaraOswald Speaking to some of your teachers sounds like a great idea! No problem at all if you are not quite ready - you can take all of the time you need and we will be here to support you with that :smile::heart:
    I'm glad to hear your week got a bit better, and I really hope it continues to do so! Good luck with the booklet and test - I believe in you! :smile: 
    coc0mac said:
    @Libby That sounds tough, but it's really good that you are able to identify that you are feeling that way! Figuring out your feelings early on means you can find ways to support yourself from the beginning - so a massive well done for that :smile::heart: Your counsellor is there to support you, and if you feel like they are not quite understanding how you feel then it is absolutely okay to let them know. If it came to that, a good idea could be to write exactly how you are feeling in a letter, and perhaps how you think they are understanding you versus what you'd actually like them to understand. That way you can take time to express your feelings and they can spend time reading over and over the letter until you are both on the same page :heart: Best of luck and take good care! And thank you so so much, means a lot :heart: 
    Writing in a letter seems good. I sometimes write a mood diary and it sometimes helps depending on how much I feel like writing.  I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion xxx
    @Libby mood diaries can be so helpful, that's great that you do that! best of luck :smile: