Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should we keep the 'thanks' reaction?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited August 2019 in General Chat
Hey everyone,

Some recent posts in the original thread made us realise it's time for part 2 of the 'thanks' reaction conversation. :)

We're still a bit on the fence, so we want to know what you all think. As well as just 'keep' or 'get rid', we had a third idea...

We could switch the icons for 'thanks' and 'agree', so 'agree' gives a thumbs up and 'thanks' gives a smiley face. This seems to fit the reactions better so, if the vote is in favour of keeping them, that's something we can do to make thanks feel less cold and generally make the reactions more intuitive. We could also change it to 'thank you' rather than 'thanks' if it feels a bit sarcastic.

That said, if we decide we don't like it, we're open to ditching it. :) Let us know what you reckon by voting on the poll - it's anonymous.

Mike & the team

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Should we keep the 'thanks' reaction? 20 votes

Yeah, I like it
40% 8 votes
Yeah, but switch the icons and change the name
30% 6 votes
Nah, not a fan
30% 6 votes
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    I think you could change the symbols so that the smile is for the thanks :) I still might not use it though, personally, and I still think it's an unnecessary reaction. So I voted for not a fan, but I wouldn't hugely object if the symbols got switched up instead of the thanks reaction getting ditched.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    I like the 3rd idea you have.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited August 2019
    It's fine as it is. I use it. It's polite 
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Keeeeeep it
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    Currently at 3 no's and 3 yeses. Keep the yeses going in guys! :)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    If it's out voted with no but it popular with the 2 yes options would it been considered to be kept?
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    @GreenTea said:
    If it's out voted with no but it popular with the 2 yes options would it been considered to be kept?
    Potentially. If it's a really even split, it will probably be decided by staff. :)

Mike & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    It just feels it would be unfair if there are more votes for yes between the options but get outvoted by fewer votes on the no
  • Maddie05Maddie05 Posts: 56 Boards Initiate
    Personally, the middle is my option... Sorry all if I didn't choose what you wanted :#
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I voted for the middle option, I like that idea.

I agree with @GreenTea though, if say it’s 30:30:40 then there are more votes for yes but the no has the higher percentage of votes (sorry to bring politics into this, but it’s similar to the controversial first past the post electoral system) ;)

I do use the reaction and find it useful though. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    I still think you may as well make a you're welcome reaction.

On the one hand, I can sort of see the use of the thanks - if the hugs feels too affectionate for the post, you can use the thanks. But that minor usefulness doesn't seem worth the reaction, we have too many.

And the other reactions feel more meaningful to me. Hugs feel more genuine, insightful means they found your advice clever or helpful and agree means you think what they've said is accurate. Thanks doesn't tell you those things, it's just a simple word that doesn't say or mean a lot.

And if you want to say thanks but without hugs, agree or insightful, you can just reply and say it that way.

This is a message board and it's meant for communicating, I don't really see why we need other reactions.

We can prevent the thanks reaction from staying. We are savage, we have the power to do anything. If you agree with what I'm saying, VOTE NO ;)
    edited August 2019
    To me thanks shows appreciation, you've acknowledge a response and are saying thank you.  It's polite to say thank you. You don't hug a waiter who brings you your food, you say thank you.
    Thanks does mean a lot, taught as kids to use please and thank yous because it's polite 

The hug one is over used. I'd much rather people reacted with thanks for my post if over offered support or advice. The hug one just makes me feel like what I said wasn't appreciated. 
    The hug response is far too overused 

Hah, fair enough. I'm glad it works for you and others :)

Personally, if I felt hugs was overused, I'd probably use insightful or maybe agree. Or just no reaction and stick with a reply.

As well as just seeming unneeded, the thanks feels cold to me. I think changing the icons so that the smiley face is for the thanks instead of agree might make it feel a bit better though.

I also like to think of it like the hugs doesn't have to mean literal hugs. Hugs could just convey warm feelings. But I get where you're coming from.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I personally really like the thanks option! I voted for switching the symbols as a smiley face seems more warm and thankful, so it makes sense to be with the "thanks" :smile: 

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2019
    I don't get it. Tbh.
    Just say what you wanna say that are more straight forward like thanks. And you're probs thinking well with that mind set - why have any reactions then but "hugs" reaction can be good since you can be like "oh I got hug" and that works as a reaction. Why can't we just say thanks with your comment? Like why?, if you wanna say thanks.
    Why not just add all possible reactions then, ones like "okay" "yeah" "you're welcome". Are we gunna Make it that lazy, that we can't even be bothered to type it. 😒 too many reactions.  My rant over lol
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Having a thanks reaction doesn't make us lazy.
    Didn't say it made you lazy as a person. The idea is lazy
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Pls keep it lol - when you added it I was well glad. We literally only have 4 reactions it’s hardly loads lol
    edited September 2019
    I've tried out many suppport sites. Most have reactions. No more than three. Plus Never seen a thanks reaction before because you can just type that
    But you can literally just type "I agree' and "hugs" too? 
    edited September 2019
    ....I've already said.
    We should say thanks ourselves not just click it. 
    Its different. IMO. You can think 'oh I've got a hug and a agree'. 
    Then you just think 'oh I've got a thanks' like what about 'oh someone said thanks to me' Be more appreciative 

You can type many things like thanks but are we gunna need a reaction for them all? Hope not
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    But then could potentially be just essentially spamming a load of threads with the word “thanks “ or “thank you” and tbh I’m appreciative weather someone’s typed it or used the reaction to say it .
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    edited September 2019
    We have been fine saying thanks before - without the reaction 

i apperciate it either way if done. 
    Just don't see the point and won't  be using it 
    I think should keep it :) there is 10 people voted to keep it. If some people don’t like it then they don’t have to use it, but why take a way something that some of us find helpful. It’s not harming anyone to have it there 
    I'd still like to why it even exists though. Was people not saying thanks before?
    It’s ok for people to have different opinions :) that’s life. Don’t need to reply in that manner to everyone because have a different opinion 
    Anyone who doesn't want to use the reaction does not have to use it. We have 10 people who want it but 5 that do not. 

Also we only have 4 reactions. It isn't like we have a reaction for every word in the English dictionary. 
    Sorry I didn't see you comment before my comment was already about to post it. I speak generally 
    Meant to ask the mix. :) Why does it exist?
    I'm on Shaunie's side.

If I can say this without sounding jerky, because I truly don't mean for it to, of course people are allowed their opinions - and we're allowed to share them. Nothing mean is being said or anything.

I'm glad the thanks works for others and I understand the majority of people want it, but I just personally can't get behind it. The idea confuses me. This is a message board for communicating, not for so many reactions, the thanks feels cold, and it doesn't feel necessary when you can type it or press one of the other reactions. Just my thoughts :)
This discussion has been closed.